• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5* A2 Doniger re-dye - a successful experiment?

Adama36

Got an Doniger A2 from Shawn few years ago. While I liked the jacket itself, I had some issues with the "russet" color.
The leather was honestly kind of dull (no shine at all) and the color , depending on the lighting, would be too pink to my taste (see below)

1644593190845.png
1644593267938.png
1644593298286.png
1644593375143.png

Long story short, I used some ethanol to remove some of the old dye (not completely though, so I could still have "pinkish " shines underneath) and re-dyed it in a darker brown color.
In order to remove the excess of dye, I used a water hose and drenched/rinsed the jacket abundantly (did that outside, in my back yard) and try to wear the jacket as much as I could while it was drying.
After treating it with some Pecard, I am pretty happy with the result. I now like the color, the shine and it added a lot or wrinkles and grain to the leather
It worth noting that the jacket did not shrink or anything despite being completely drenched

1644593770071.png
1644593803269.png

1644593886556.png
1644594006479.jpeg
1644594048665.png

Attachments

• 1644593232649.png
    1644593232649.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 126

ties70

Well done, I like the results a lot!

I have the same issues with my FS Doniger...it's probably the same leather and, yes, the pinkish hue is not getting better....

May I ask what brand of dye you did use?

Ties

Adama36

Well done, I like the results a lot!

I have the same issues with my FS Doniger...it's probably the same leather and, yes, the pinkish hue is not getting better....

May I ask what brand of dye you did use?

Ties

Fiebing's LeatherColors 4oz Dark Brown

B-Man2

Fiebing's LeatherColors 4oz Dark Brown
How did you apply to dye ? With a rag or a paint brush?
Did you apply the dye in layers or just one coating ?
After the dye dried did you buff it out ?
I’m asking all of these questions because I have a jacket that I would like to try this on ..,..but I have no experience working with dyes etc.
Thanks for any answers you can give me .

Adama36

How did you apply to dye ? With a rag or a paint brush?
Did you apply the dye in layers or just one coating ?
After the dye dried did you buff it out ?
I’m asking all of these questions because I have a jacket that I would like to try this on ..,..but I have no experience working with dyes etc.
Thanks for any answers you can give me .

I used a rag and applied several coatings until I got the color I liked.
I then try to clean it with a dry clean rag but later realized, the hard way, that the excess of dye would come off with the rain.
I, therefore, decided to water hose it until all the excess of dye was removed

Do not forget to prepare the leather before re-dyeing it. I used 70% ethanol but I am pretty sure any type of solvent, such as acetone, would work too.

mulceber

Leather looks way better - well done! How did you prevent the run-off dye from getting into the knits and messing them up?

ties70

Have you taken a photo after the ethanol wash but before the re-dye? Would be interesting to see how much of the old color you took off...

Adama36

Have you taken a photo after the ethanol wash but before the re-dye? Would be interesting to see how much of the old color you took off...
no pics sorry. I did not remove the old color completely though. I was kind of worry that I would not be able to re-dye it correctly and I thought it would look better with the "pink" hues coming through the darker brown dye

Adama36

Leather looks way better - well done! How did you prevent the run-off dye from getting into the knits and messing them up?

Good question. I was really worry about that at first but I quickly realized that if I used enough water (therefore the water hose) the dye would be very diluted and drip through the knits without any issues.

Fortune favors the bold , I guess

Micawber

I have refinished a good few jackets. Good effects can be had by using a combination of the water based and pro oil based Fiebings dyes - but not at the same time of course.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Got an Doniger A2 from Shawn few years ago. While I liked the jacket itself, I had some issues with the "russet" color.
The leather was honestly kind of dull (no shine at all) and the color , depending on the lighting, would be too pink to my taste (see below)

View attachment 74548View attachment 74550View attachment 74552View attachment 74553

Long story short, I used some ethanol to remove some of the old dye (not completely though, so I could still have "pinkish " shines underneath) and re-dyed it in a darker brown color.
In order to remove the excess of dye, I used a water hose and drenched/rinsed the jacket abundantly (did that outside, in my back yard) and try to wear the jacket as much as I could while it was drying.
After treating it with some Pecard, I am pretty happy with the result. I now like the color, the shine and it added a lot or wrinkles and grain to the leather
It worth noting that the jacket did not shrink or anything despite being completely drenched

View attachment 74557View attachment 74558
View attachment 74559View attachment 74560View attachment 74561
Well done..