• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

446th Bomb Sq - Incendiary Blonde A-2 Repro

Mr. Scratch

New guy here, just showing off my latest project. I wanted to have a jacket similar to what my grandfather would have worn when he piloted B-25s in the Mediterranean during WWII. He was with the 446th Bomb Squadron, and during my research to build the jacket, I discovered that all the 446th mission logs were online, as well as photographs, including a couple of my grandfather! Off to a good start.

380294375.jpg

I started with a mid-80s near-new condition Flight Apparel Industries A-2 I got on eBay. I would have liked to have done this with a Aero or Goodwear, but I just couldn't spare the money. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality/price ratio of the FAI jacket; it is much better made than I expected, and seems close in quality (though not accuracy) to some of the better brands. However, the finish was way too glossy, and the dark brown too solid.

I rubbed it down with an alcohol-soaked rag, paying special attention to the seams and such which would naturally receive more wear on a broken-in coat. The effect was a nice mottling. Then I patched it with a repro 446th squadron patch I'd bought several months ago, and replaced the zipper with a Talon.

380293856.jpg

My grandfather's ship had no nose art, and the squadron itself wasn't blessed to have as good an artist on staff as her sister squadron in the same Bomb Group, the 447th BS, so I borrowed the art from one of their planes (with a few modifications).

380252464.jpg

Then sent it off to Jerri at http://www.victory-girl.com for painting. She did a fine job.

380293853.jpg

My heroic flyboy pose here came out a bit too Manfred von Richthofen on account of the collar being up, but you get the general idea.

380252467.jpg
380252468.jpg

Next I need to add my grandfather's missions along the bottom back and give the art a faux patina to tone it down and give it an aged appearance. More on that when I get to it.

deand

Welcome to the forum...WOW! :eek: That is a beautiful job you did on enhancing that jacket with the additions you made! How terrific is it to have the family history to go with it, and you model it well! Kudos in excelsis to you efforts! Hope you enjoy the VLJ forum as much as I have!

dean

drew parker

That jacket looks great. I really mean it. You have done a great job. Here lately I painted a couple squadron patches and aged them using liquitex varnish. I added alittle yellow ochre to the varnish and airbrushed it on till I got the aging effect I wanted. Spray alittle on and dry it, I use a blow dryer. You don't want to put it on to heavy all at once. THis way you can get just what you are looking for. Liquitex varnish is permament and waterproof.

Weasel_Loader

First off, welcome to the forum. Your very lucky to have found the mission logs of your grandfathers squadron online. Some of us are not so lucky. Great job with the jacket too!!! ;)

442RCT

Great job there...I like it. :D :p
For me, a jacket without a pin-up or art on the back is a jacket with something missing.

Recently on eBay an artist had two FAI jackets with pinups on sale. If I'd known they were that good a looking jacket, I probably would have bought one or both.

better duck

Welcome to another artist!
A little while more, and us simple jacket collectors & clients of artists will be a minority! Artists rule on VLJ!! :cool: Good for us! (as long as you don't require me to alter my jackets or paint them myself. Now that would really devalue my jackets! :D

Mr. Scratch

Thanks for the compliments, guys. It's nice to have something turn out the way it was imagined.

Weasel_Loader said:
Your very lucky to have found the mission logs of your grandfathers squadron online. Some of us are not so lucky.

It was pretty astonishing, and I'm very grateful. I set out to find an image of a squadron patch, and by midnight I had an accounting of every plane my grandfather flew by registered Aircraft Number and name, who flew with him on what missions, what the target was, how the mission went, what planes were damaged, who didn't come back and why, and lots more beyond. Additionally, the site included entries for the personal diaries of the crewmembers, which really fleshed out the personal aspect of what my grandfather Frank endured. All sorts of stuff is there. Grampa Frank was deeply shaken by witnessing the death of his good friend, David Ryder, during the war. For years afterward his hands would shake when he spoke of Ryder. Looking through the records, there it is: On 27 Jan '44, Ryder was piloting the B-25 "Lady Betty" on a mission to destroy the Velletri road junction in Italy, and took a direct flak hit to the cockpit.

A lot of work has gone into making these records available. Someone's done the men a well-deserved service.

http://57thbombwing.com/index2.php