• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40'S bomber jacket for our friend in Belgium...

fishmeok

Just finished this last night (except for the cuffs, I always seem to be short one pair for some reason). It's my version of a classic 40's bomber jacket (have to think up a name for the style- something catchy, yet subtle) made out of seal brown goatskin, mouton collar, wool coat lining, Talon zip, slash pockets, and an inside g-1 style pocket (size 42). Two piece back, inset sleeves, three piece arms, wool knits, etc...

Cheers
Mark

CompDown939-1.jpg

CompDown948-1.jpg

CompDown924.jpg

CompDown920.jpg

CompDown916.jpg

CompDown907.jpg

CompDown906.jpg

CompDown899.jpg

CompDown901.jpg

CompDown891.jpg

ties70

Mark,

Marcel will be totally pleased! That is a really niiiiiice piece of work!!

Looks to me like a "1940's Flightmaster"...? Maybe an "AirMaster Mark I"..? ;)

fishmeok

I rather like "flightmaster", or maybe strato- something or other. I asked Marcel to come up with something in French...This was a really fun one to make, once I figured out how to do the collar (took some practice, mouton is not the easiest stuff to work with). I particularily enjoyed making the pockets and the stitching on the back of the collar for some reason. Took some of the sting out of that stupid AFC championshp game on Sunday. I was only 5 years old, but I'm still mad at Dallas for that hail mary in '75. :D
Cheers
Mark

Mac

The Flanders Flyer? ;)

Fantastic jacket. I really like the collar dimensions (and other details). Very vintage vibe.

Mac

jonnyboy

Great jacket, Mark!

Looks really professional and well put together. It has nice details too - I really like the stitching on the back of the collar.

Cheers,

Jon

dujardin

Mac said:
The Flanders Flyer? ;)

Belgium is ''divided'' in 2 ''regio''.
the first called Vlanderen where they speak flammish and the second is called Wallonnie where we speak french.
''Flanders flyer'' would be unappropriate for me, you see, there is a kind of politic-human-stupid ''war'' between those 2 regios.
and to complicate this we also have the german speaking regio and the Bruxelles-capital regio.
can you imagine that in such a small land.

but your idea was good tough.
''escadrille'' is too frenchy, here in Belgium we use the english term into the air force.
what about ''Marcel's special'' or ''belgian way''

nooooooooooooo,

the idea suggested by Mark are good

wellllllllllll it's already difficult to choose a name for a new born child, sooooooooo for a jacket............

byeeeeeeeee marcel

Mac

Marcel,

By any name it's a great jacket! (I was thinking of Willy Coppens, the great Belgian WWI ace; years ago I'd read a book about him entitled "Flying Over Flanders.")

I look forward to your photos when you receive the jacket from Mark.

Best,
Mac

dujardin

some photos again
now she's finished, just some little days and i will wear her

CompDown951.jpg

she looks better with knits

CompDown966.jpg

CompDown965.jpg

splendid collar
CompDown969.jpg

inside pocket
CompDown976.jpg

and this remember my first lesson of english
my tailor is ...... coollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

CompDown982.jpg

many thanks for your splendid work, jacket look greatttttttttttt

byeeeeeeeeeee marcel

dujardin

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Mark,
what about percentage for my copyright ??????????????????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just joking ;)

marcel

also a splendid one with leather collar, what did you use for the liner ?
and have she also an inside pocket ?

Cobblers161

What a truly fantastic job Mark, well done indeed. A Stratoliner is now firmly placed on my 2010 wants list.

fishmeok

Thanks guys
Marcel- this one is exactly like yours except for the collar- but unfortunately the wool liner is now unavailable so I will have to figure something else out in the future.
Cheers
Mark