• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

399th FS 369th Group Cable Raincoat A2

Dany McDonald

Without any desire to challenge my forum friends, as I too use vaseline on my repros, I would suggest this restorer product for your very nice original Cable in case it's on the dry side and needs special attention. I haven't tried this one myself but read a lot of good thing about it. It's on my list...

Love the whole jacket a lot, the Kwik zip and patch are so nice and are my focal point.

If you go that route, plz keep me in the loop if you are happy with the results.

Dany

ausreenactor

Hello gentlemen. Just wanted to share a photo of an original size 40 Cable A2 from my collection. I have a handful of USGI field jackets in my milsurp collection, but this is my lone flight jacket. The jacket was gifted to me awhile ago by the owners daughter along with his M1 helmet, painted foot locker, among other items.

Any feedback about care, preservation, and valuation would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 74833
Hell of a gift to receive!

Great that you are eager to keep and preserve the grouping.

Tattoo A2

I also have used pecards on my original A2 jackets in my collection and also on original leather flight helmets. As said before a little dab will do ya. You dont need a lot and I have never had any build up or residue afterwards. If something works for each of us, keep using it. We all have our favorites. As an older friend told me years ago... theres a seat for every ass on the bus. I own an Original Cable in goatskin and the pecards worked nice on it. Good luck with whatever works best for you.

B-Man2

I’m not challenging anyones opinions with regard to the use of Pecards vs. Vasoline products but ………. If the use of Petroleum products is an issue for Coolhandluke what’s the difference here? They are both Petroleum based . Just asking .

coolhandluke

Hell of a gift to receive!

Great that you are eager to keep and preserve the grouping.

Agreed...sadly, the grouping was likely heading for donation to The Salvation Army when I encountered it. I am a little bit of an M1 junkie so I was absolutely thrilled to have Sergeant Williams' helmet to display alongside his A2.

20220215_195917.jpg

Dany McDonald

First Vaseline is a by-product of petroleum and doesn't really contains petroleum per say, just saying. It's a useful lubricant and good moisturiser especially for leather. It's good for my hands why not my jackets!

But for the long run and in a spirit of preservation, I think some products, especially those design with museums and restorers in mind, are better suited for rare or older leather works. It's important to remember that leather will absorb and react to oils or greases, or...over a long period of time. It may start oxidizing or encapsulate moisture and deteriorate in time.

My two cents.... ;)

Dany

coolhandluke

Following back with an update on this Cable A2. Below are some after photos of the jacket after some careful cleaning and a very light treatment of Blackrock Leather N' Rich. There are a few fragile spots that make it not quite in wearable condition IMO, but it will display a little more nicely and the goatskin is much more pliable.

Thanks again to all for your input and suggestions.

3JUUyLR.jpeg

NYqUOwI.jpeg

Last edited: