• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

392nd BG A-2

bombs away

Hello,

Here is one of my last purchase.
5853120081_20b1889d04_b_d.jpg

5853121337_487a6aa05f_z_d.jpg

5853122269_61fd1b7f0b_z_d.jpg

As you can see the jacket has seen action !
I suppose there was a swastika painted in the "sun" over the pocket as the bombs of the B-24 are falling in its direction.

There is a nice story starting with this jacket.
I've bought it a few weeks ago on ebay. No identification unfortunately, just 2 markings : 576th BS and the last four digits of the Army Serial Number of the owner and his initial : K-5029
My luck : the 392nd BG site is very well documented.
I started my researches but a friend of mine has been faster.
He has found the picture of this crew :
raczko10.jpg

And the name of Eugene A Kracker, ASN 35925029, from Massillon Ohio (gunner, 3rd from the left, kneeling).
Was it the same jacket worn on this picture ?

So it was a very good path to follow...

After more researches I've sent an email to someone named Tom Kracker, he wrote an article on the internet about a man named Ralph Kracker, crewmember from the 458th BG, from Massillon Ohio too.
Tom answered me the day after my message and said he was the nephew of Eugene Kracker, he had no news from his uncle for many years, but thought he was still alive. He confirmed Eugene was from the 576th BS.
He has even called him and Eugene who was happy to speak with him and he gave him the description of his A-2 jacket he has given back to the army when leaving. He has described "my" jacket ! :mrgreen:
I've written a letter to Eugen Kracker as he isn't connected to the internet. I've sent the letter this week and I'm unpatient to read his answer. Tom told me that Eugene would be very happy to discuss with me.
Nice story isn't it ?

Tim

A

Anonymous

Nice piece of history, one of my favorite Bomb Group insignias.

Roughwear

Thanks for posting this thread Tim. The Cable A2 has certainly seen some action! It's great to have made contact with the vet's relative. I hope he responds to your letter. Please keep us posted.

dmar836

Great save! Sounds like you have reattached the history to this jacket.

Good work for all of us to enjoy!

dujardin

congrats on this catch

great some guys as you are so involved in preserving such beauties
and to share with us

thanksssssssss
marcel

dmar836

So does anyone know how these jackets that were "turned in" got back out into the public?

My buddy said he paid to keep some of his stuff.

Dave

bombs away

Hello,

Thank you for your kind comments guys.

deeb7 said:
wonderful that Eugene is still here to be a part of it.

Yes it's really incredible to me.
And he is in the White Pages, it's too easy ! Unfortunately my english is too weak to speak directly with him by phone... :cry:
But letters will last for ever, I like the idea too.

The first veteran I've virtually met (thanks to emails to his family as he didn't understand a word of internet) passed away on last june 6th.
3 weeks later I have the opportunity to get in touch with another 8th Air Force veteran !
Life is full of surprises.

Tim

PS : thank you Andrew for the identification of a Cable Raincoats jacket. ;)

wheat1479

What would be nice is to have this man as a guest on here,maybe get him to answer questions from the members or get his biography and post it here..

RCSignals

dmar836 said:
So does anyone know how these jackets that were "turned in" got back out into the public?

My buddy said he paid to keep some of his stuff.

Dave

Good question. Obviously didn't go to be refurbished. It may have been reissued, put in stock then surplussed after the war, put in que for refurbish but never was, or walked out the back door.

....or sold to Western Costume...... ;)