• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

38th FS PATCH - reproduction of USAF Museum jacket patch

jonnyboy

Hi Guys,

Here's my initial attempt at reproducing the patch from the USAF museum. I've painted it on leather - the original WW2 handmade patch is made from material (also shown below).

The original is quite folk art-like, so I've tried to paint it to fit, stylistically, with other official P-38 squadron patches (although it's an unofficial patch).

I hope you like it!

38FS-55FG-small-1.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped in identifying the original patch - especially Silver Dollar, 442RCT and Emblemhunter.

Cheers,

Jon

442RCT

Nice painted interpretation of the embroidered patch. Looks like you've gone beyond the trace'n paint and moved to the draw'n paint a patch. :p

jonnyboy

Hi 442RCT,

Glad you like it. I really enjoyed painting this one. I drew it straight onto the leather (after giving it an undercoat of white) and it felt a bit like doodling with paint! Great fun. A bit too much fun, actually, which tells me I need to get out more!

Cheers,

Jon

Silver Dollar

You nailed it, Jon. You did a fantastic job on that. You're probably right that the patch was unofficial. I couldn't find it anywhere in my own research. Anyone would be proud to have that on an A2. Many kudos.

jonnyboy

Thanks guys! Glad you like it.

I like the suggestion that it has an 'in-theatre' look! Those types of patches are the ones I like best.

Patch painting is strangely addictive and I'm hoping to keep going with it.

Cheers,

Jon

Silver Dollar

If you think patch work is addicting, try painting the jacket backs. I had to quit doing it because i couldn't afford to get more jackets and I had no more storage space. Sure I could have sold them but they were my babies and you can't sell your own kin. :lol: