• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

323rd Bombardment squadron painted patches.

s4rmark

Today I received a couple of painted patches from @ties70 , both are 323rd Bombardment squadron. One pristine and one aged . Over the moon with the end result from a very talented artist.
F3A7AC3F-7C02-4308-8CDC-391671EA889E.jpeg
3C470DC8-AD75-4E4A-9270-36B8FEB7216B.jpeg
8E4E1BF4-1061-455E-8330-C625152A7B32.jpeg
5D27E264-D4D2-42C7-8A1D-DEDD0817CFB1.jpeg

Micawber

"Amatol" was the name of the real 323rd Bomb Squadron, 91st Bomb Group squadron mascot.

And here it is at Bassingbourn with the photo lab behind to the left and one of the C Type hangers behind that. The rear of the firetruck garage can be seen far left, this was situated directly behind, but some way back from the Watch Office - otherwise known as Control Tower.

How do I know all this? ;)

Goat mascot 'Amitol'.jpg

Last edited:

ties70

Know them well. Shame that those four Squadron signs got swept away in the cleanup prior to Station 121 being handed back to the RAF, same applies to a lot of signage and murals etc painted on the walls. I did manage rescue some sign written door panels that had, like everything else, been overpainted umpteen times postwar.

Steve,

I was really happy when Mark found the picture of the squadron insignia in this really elaborate design... The quick Google search for the 323rd came up with the more often used, mostly rough and kind of folksy variants...

I have to admit that I often screw up those artsy-folksy stuff... I honestly believe that I am not a good enough artist to make these sketchy designs look as fast, easy and care-free as they were probably done in WWII... Give me lots of details to copy, shadings to add... That's my home turf...

Ties

Micawber

Steve,

I was really happy when Mark found the picture of the squadron insignia in this really elaborate design... The quick Google search for the 323rd came up with the more often used, mostly rough and kind of folksy variants...

I have to admit that I often screw up those artsy-folksy stuff... I honestly believe that I am not a good enough artist to make these sketchy designs look as fast, easy and care-free as they were probably done in WWII... Give me lots of details to copy, shadings to add... That's my home turf...

Ties

I think yours look fine and believe Corporal Tony Starcer, who painted the majority of the 91st "stuff" would approve.

I'm currently reorganising my archive files and photos but among them I have photos of patches both those that we had in the museum and elsewhere of group and squadron patches both painted and cloth from the early to late period of the 91st. If and when I come across them I will let you know.

ties70

I think yours look fine and believe Corporal Tony Starcer, who painted the majority of the 91st "stuff" would approve.

I'm currently reorganising my archive files and photos but among them I have photos of patches both those that we had in the museum and elsewhere of group and squadron patches both painted and cloth from the early to late period of the 91st. If and when I come across them I will let you know.

Terrific offer!
I would really appreciate that, but please don't rush anything ... I got all the time in the world.

Micawber

Do not show me!!!! I might have used completely wrong colors...

Just kidding, please share it if you can.

Ties

The colours and shades of colours on the patches let alone the signage around the base were variable. As I was curator of the 91st BG museum I had, and have, a pretty good handle of a lot of the images, both in and out of the public domain.
This was taken by Thomas Flemming during the harsh winter of 1944 / 45 and shows the 323rd Sqdn sign that stood outside the 323rd offices on the side of on of the C Type hangars. Each squadron had it's own sign outside their respective offices as did the 401st Sub Depot that was housed in the hangar nearest the Royston Road.

received_200374021908194.jpeg

TF 323 sign Xmas 44.jpg

Last edited:

JCLO

I just ordered a commission piece of one my father's units from the war. Really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. It's from the 55th weather reconnaissance squadron. Dad was really lucky and was never deployed overseas. He spent all of his wartime duty in the US. But he still saw hazardous duty in the form of a hurricane chaser. He was truly lucky and lost more than a few friends that were deployed overseas. I have attached the squadron patch and the graduation photo from Will Roger's Field in Oklahoma.

Attachments

• 655th_Bombardment_Squadron_(later_55th_Reconnaissance_Squadron)_-_Emblem.png
    655th_Bombardment_Squadron_(later_55th_Reconnaissance_Squadron)_-_Emblem.png
    229.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 655th_Bombardment_Squadron_-_1944.jpg
    655th_Bombardment_Squadron_-_1944.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 191

JCLO

Unusual for a bomb squadron patch.. more akin to recon or observation...

Looks great!
They were constituted as the 655th Heavy Bombardment Squadron in August 1944. In June 1945 they were redesignated as the 55th Long Range Reconnaissance Squadron. My father was part of a detachment assigned to the US and was never deployed. He originally started in the infantry, moved to aerial gunnery and finished up as a radio operator with the 55th.