• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

zoomer

Re: Steve McQueen Pilot

Mr. McQueen, this is a Naval Air Station, not a conning tower...For %&!!%! sake take a shave before the skipper sees you looking like the lead dog of the wolfpack!

MikeyB-17

Hell, those are cracking shots-taken, I would imagine, not too long before he died. Note the G-1-looks like a faux fur collar, but still looks cool. The bike is gorgeous!

I met him just 6 months before he died at Santa Paula Airport. He invited me and my dad into his hanger. He had two airplanes in there, a Stearman, and a Pitcarin Mailwing. He also had several vintage motorcycles, a vintage gas pump collection, and a pocket knife collection on one of the walls. His true love was obviously his motorcycles because that was all he talked about. He was a really nice guy. He looked exactly like the pictures above. They must have been taken about that same time (1980).

T-Bolt

Wow, that's cool you got a chance to meet and visit with McQueen. I would have loved to have that opportunity. I feel fortunate that I got to B.S. for a half hour or so with Henry Fonda back when he was probably in his early 60's. He was a neat guy.....very casual and easy to converse with. :cool:

Ted

Chandler

MikeyB-17 said:
I would imagine, not too long before he died.

I dunno, wasn't he lookin' pretty worse-for-wear about the end of his life? Seems like in "The Hunter" he had "filled out" a little more than how he looks in these pics. Still lookin' feisty here.

Nice shots and Gee.

Chandler

A

Anonymous

Nice to see Buzz in Navy goat. Anyone know what year he got started flying? I bet it was just after "The War Lover".

MikeyB-17

wing nut said:
Nice to see Buzz in Navy goat. Anyone know what year he got started flying? I bet it was just after "The War Lover".

Steve moved to Santa Paula in California in 1979, and took up flying shortly after that. He died in November 1980.

Chandler

His last two movies, Tom Horn & The Hunter (in that order), were both released in 1980. I didn't realize he died so soon afterward.

Tom Horn was released on March 28, 1980 - The Hunter on August 1, 1980, McQueen died on November 7, 1980. I always remember that he looked pretty tired and run-down in The Hunter.

The good (at least in his art) always die young.

Chandler

Curahee

Great pics thanks for posting, reminds of that Muddy Waters song "Manish Boy" has written testosteron all
over it !

A

Anonymous

The bike in the first picture is a 1940 Indian Chief leaf spring front suspension ,1946 had a springer front end similar to a Vincent ,and went to plunger on the 80ci roadmaster 1950 .No Indians chiefs were produced in 1949 .heres a clip from the New York times re the auction of the bike
Bonhams & Brooks is selling a 1940 Indian Chief (Lot 213) that Steve McQueen owned until his death. McQueen's first bike, purchased in the 1950's, was a 1946 Indian Chief. Like James Dean, Elvis Presley and Dennis Hopper, he went on to collect motorcycles. His riding skill was evident in his stunt work in ''The Great Escape'' and ''On Any Sunday.''

McQueen tested dirt bikes for Popular Science magazine and raced bikes, often using the pseudonym Harvey Mushman, with his friends Bud Elkins and Robert Riddell. ''He was the last great juvenile delinquent movie star,'' Michael Sragow wrote in Esquire Gentlemen magazine in 1993. ''When cool had meaning, he had cool.''

Mr. Osborne, noting that McQueen ''was a fanatic about motorcycles, cars and planes,'' said that the Indian Chief in the sale ''was a cruising bike for Hollywood, not one he used for trail riding in the desert, though it could go about 100 miles per hour.''

The bike is a creamy white with a bright chartreuse leather seat and fenders that have deep skirts. It has no windshield. ''You probably wouldn't find a windshield on a Steve McQueen bike,'' Mr. Osborne said, adding that its engine is the size of one in a small European car. ''The Indian Chief is a style icon,'' he said. ''These bikes were seen as classics. They were made at a time when most of the manufacturers in the U.S. and U.K. were at their height.'' The estimate is $45,000 to $55,000. Sorry to correct but Indian are my thing,

rgds Jeff

asiamiles

MikeyB-17 said:
Hell, those are cracking shots-taken, I would imagine, not too long before he died. Note the G-1-looks like a faux fur collar, but still looks cool.

Toys McCoy has done a repro of McQueen's G-1 which they claim is a J-7823C. It has S.McQueen stencilled on the left chest and N90840 on the back, which clearly this jacket does not have, though of course Steve might've had more than one G-1.