• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

245 Squadron Irvin

havocpaul

Just received an original 1939-dated Irvin obtained (via a collector/dealer) from a veteran who flew Hurricanes and Typhoons with 245 Sqn RAF. Jacket is in good condition, clearly seen service and more character than many, I haven't given it a cover of Pecards yet but the hide is not dry or brittle at all. Nice Art Deco zips, has the metal chain hanger and label (over to you for the maker please Andrew!). 245 Sqn flew their Hurricanes and then Typhoons over occupied France on ground-attack missions and then in Normandy on and after D-Day. I won't be wearing it at all as too much history to risk further wear, it is around a size 40. I have the pilot's name for reference.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/havocpaul/?saved=1

Grant

Sweet looking Irvin! I like the warm brown color of the skins.
It's nice an chilly weather here in NYC - breaking out one of my Irvins today.

A

Anonymous

Looks a cracking jacket Paul. Well scored !!

The zippers are fantastic. Jesh, I'm becoming all OCD.

Dave

bombs away

Hello,

Congratulations, Paul, that's a fantastic Irvin !
And what gives it much more value is the story you got with it.
Is the veteran still with us ?

Tim.

PS : the other painted jackets (2 A-2s and a B-3) are from your collection ? They look so great !

havocpaul

The vet is still with us, sadly he passed on his jacket before going into a nursing home, maybe there was no family interested in keeping his items, it happens too often. Those painted jackets belong to my friend Frank who has a massive collection of USAAF and Airborne stuff.

havocpaul

We're supposed to be in for a cold snap here too, I've managed to find a mint 1943 Royal Navy Duffel Coat that'll keep me warm walking the dog. Also been wearing a very warm USN N-2 (A-2) Deck jacket that is very practical....need to find a nice body mannequin to display this Irvin as it won't be worn.

Roughwear

Good score Paul. So it was you who bought the jacket from DF's online shop! It's an early Links jacket (1939) going by the contract number, the rounded collar, larger brass hanger and other details characteristic of this prolific maker. I'm glad you know about the wartime owner. Perhaps could will be able to find out more about his wartime career?

havocpaul

yes, he's a good source of RAF stuff and has been for many years. Not sure where to look for further info on the pilot, 245 Sqn haven't got a roster as such. The Typhoon has always been my favourite RAF 'fighter', 245 Sqn are the subject of one of the best wartime autobiographies "Day of the Typhoon" when they flew from make-shift bases in Normandy.

Andrew

Very nice, complete in many ways, label, zips and most importantly provenance. I like the two tone zipper tapes, I used to have one with them.

I use the London Gazette to research snippetts on Officers, all their awards/ promotions were listed there. Try using his name or number in a WWII search.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/