• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

23rd Fighter Group A-2 - Curent Fair Value

shedonwanna

I made one a few years ago that was closer to the disney design -

23rdfg5sheep.jpg

a2jacketpatches

TankBuster said:
JDAM said:
bseal said:
$125 plus shipping and handling:

http://www.split-s.us/squadron-patches

Looks awesome by the way.

Indeed. Best repro out there imo. They did a very good job.

Agreed. Split S did a very good job. I haven't seen anyone else come very close. The G&B is not good at all.

You guys think such a simple patch actually sells? I've got one like these originals coming up as a special request, but will be using accurate materials. I'll be setting up my dream studio very soon and will have a station for using oil paints to color leather. Until recently, I've been limited to multi-piece leather because of my very small work space, they are less problematic and messy. I will soon be doing painted, incised, embroidered, etc. All with period correct materials as near exact reproductions just to see how it goes. Not as care free as acrylic paint pens and craft store materials so price will reflect the amount of time and effort, but it will be interesting to see if that really matters to customers.

JDAM

a2jacketpatches said:
You guys think such a simple patch actually sells? I've got one like these originals coming up as a special request, but will be using accurate materials. I'll be setting up my dream studio very soon and will have a station for using oil paints to color leather. Until recently, I've been limited to multi-piece leather because of my very small work space, they are less problematic and messy. I will soon be doing painted, incised, embroidered, etc. All with period correct materials as near exact reproductions just to see how it goes. Not as care free as acrylic paint pens and craft store materials so price will reflect the amount of time and effort, but it will be interesting to see if that really matters to customers.

Good question. I don't know. But if you're after accuracy, then the Split-S version of this patch is pretty good. But only in the case of this specific 23rd patch.

The leather is a bit off and it's missing some detail on the paint job. They haven't quite got it right.

shedonwanna

a2jacketpatches said:

If you use period correct materials and pay attention to details you will have some interest. You have some nice work in your modern pieced patches and appear to have done well with them. Adding diversity to your offerings will surely make you a busy guy! Can't wait to see your portfolio.

a2jacketpatches

I've got the perfect leather for this patch, and now three good references to base my version on, it'll be a combination of the three. I'll have the multi-piece lightning bolt, stitching details, and the aging will be worn paint as in the originals. I'm already setting up the paint station in the new place, it's been a long time waiting, but I'll be fully operational within a week and very inspired to bring my creations to a new level.

I'm in the old place now, close my eyes and hear the acceleration of endless vehicles out side my front door, and the smell of dog poop wafting in through my window. By next week, see photos. Yesterday while we were there, I asked my wife just like this..... WAIT!......DO YOU HEAR THAT!!!!!!!! She said "no I hear nothing" I said "exactly"
2.jpg

photo.jpg

shedonwanna

Nice digs for a studio... here is the vintage patch I used for a template. I believe it was used by the 74th squadron and later adopted by 23rd fighter group after the war.

23rdfglayered.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Knew I saw that somewhere, it's in one of my books, Right? Good copy, think I have a Disney B&W image that was the reference for that patch.

Rutger

a2jacketpatches said:

Can I trade the one I bought with you about two months ago? ;)

That's about paradise, isn't it? Enjoy the undisturbed living.

shedonwanna

a2jacketpatches said:
Knew I saw that somewhere, it's in one of my books, Right? Good copy, think I have a Disney B&W image that was the reference for that patch.

Yes, in one of Mcguire's books. Forgot which one. I've often thought of writing an index for his books so we will all have a written reference for locating artwork and jackets. Would probably make a nice "sticky" for this forum.

a2jacketpatches

Can I trade the one I bought with you about two months ago? ;)

That's about paradise, isn't it? Enjoy the undisturbed living.[/quote]

I'll give you a hellava deal on the new one, Sound fair?

Almost settled in paradise, I can't believe how quiet it is up there, just the sound of a prop driven plane once and a while.

TankBuster

a2jacketpatches said:
May I ask why he's a former member?

If memory serves me correct, it was a issue with rule changes in the Life Beyond the Internet section that did it. There used to be some heated discussions in that area. Simon liked to stir the pot for sure, but he also had alot of knowledge on jackets and patches. Personally, I never had much of a issue with him and appreciated discussions I had with him both on and off the forum since we shared a common interest in original jackets, patches, and groupings.

a2jacketpatches

Funny, I heard about all of that, people getting kicked out and leaving voluntarily in the past. Starting to feel a little disturbed here myself these days. Offering a little of my knowledge here and there, stuff I find, etc. and being scrutinized as if I'm doing wrong or don't know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I'm here to learn a little and give a little, and I have a good idea of who really doesn't know what they're talking about. So rather than leave completely, I'll just avoid the yahoo chat room like topics and holier than thou criticism. Lots of good guys here not looking to poke fun or pick a fight all the time.

JDAM

Stony said:
Fine me one or ten at $200-300 a piece and I'll buy them all from you.

As I have become a very patient buyer over the 40+ years I've been collecting/buying militaria, I will find one for that price. However, it's not in my forte, so I won't be looking for one anytime soon.

Hi, thought I'd check in after a couple of years... Any luck?