• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 Photo Recon/Mapping Units

Yardstick

I thought I'd share two patches that I've recently completed that I'm particularly pleased with. First is the 19th Photo Mapping Squadron. This is a pre-war design incorporating a 'thunderbird' motif. My version is on the left, with an original multi-piece leather patch bottom right and an original decal on leather version top right. I used a mix of custom dyed veg tanned goat leather with painted detailing. The custom dyed plum coloured suede in particular came out very nicely.
Image1.jpg

The second patch is from the 40th Photo Recon Squadron. This uses a mix of 3 different goatskins, painted and dyed to replicate the original. The text is black ink applied with a brush and was surprising tricky to line up correctly - had to get the acetone out to wipe away the first attempt once I realised it was mis-aligned. The original I used as a template is on the right.
Image2.jpg

Last edited: