• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2/Lt Dell C Toedt Photo's and Documents

oose

Hi all,
Picked up some photographs and documents relating to 2/Lt Dell C Toedt, a RF-51 Mustang Pilot with 45th TRS, in Korea 1952 and later a ferry pilot involved in delivering planes to various South American countries. Thought I share them here, First lot here more to come, can anyone identify the A-2 contract?

All the best
stu

I didn't think that the AF was still issuing A-2s after WWII. If he is a 2/LT during the Korean war, he would have joined well after WWII.

dilbert

Treetopflyer said:
I didn't think that the AF was still issuing A-2s after WWII. If he is a 2/LT during the Korean war, he would have joined well after WWII.

I ran across an article concerning this some time ago. Even though the A-2 was officially discontinued mid-WW II, there were a lot of jackets still in the inventory and they continued to be issued to pilots throughout the war. It seems that many of the P-51 pilots flying in Korea were reservists who were recalled to active duty. These reservists brought their old A-2's with them. It turns out some of the P-51 squadrons thought they were what we would call "salty" in the Navy, and some commanding officers discovered a bunch of A-2's still in storage and requisitioned them. It was thought that it strengthened group morale, much as the return of the A-2 to the Air Force in 1988. So there were young pilots in Korea sporting A-2's who had never served when the leather jackets were common. You see photos from Korea of pilots with a mix of jackets, some A-2's, some B-10's and some B-15's. In my experience in the Navy items may be replaced but old items are not turned in and continue to be worn unless it is a safety issue (e.g. we had to turn in our old cotton flight suits when Nomex suits were introduced- yes, I'm that old!).

oose

Hi all,

Thank guys for info, 2/Lt Toedt defiantly joined post war and was sent straight to Korea from flight school. I'm still waiting on the post but in the next batch of photo's Lt Toedt is wearing his A-2 with a nice big 45th TRS patch and another shot of him wearing a 45th TRS patched L-2a. Both of these next shots were taken post war. They should be with me soon. One more shot in the meantime of F-86 taken by Lt Toedt

All the best
stu

RCSignals

dilbert said:
Treetopflyer said:

I ran across an article concerning this some time ago. Even though the A-2 was officially discontinued mid-WW II, there were a lot of jackets still in the inventory and they continued to be issued to pilots throughout the war. It seems that many of the P-51 pilots flying in Korea were reservists who were recalled to active duty. These reservists brought their old A-2's with them. It turns out some of the P-51 squadrons thought they were what we would call "salty" in the Navy, and some commanding officers discovered a bunch of A-2's still in storage and requisitioned them. It was thought that it strengthened group morale, much as the return of the A-2 to the Air Force in 1988. So there were young pilots in Korea sporting A-2's who had never served when the leather jackets were common. You see photos from Korea of pilots with a mix of jackets, some A-2's, some B-10's and some B-15's. In my experience in the Navy items may be replaced but old items are not turned in and continue to be worn unless it is a safety issue (e.g. we had to turn in our old cotton flight suits when Nomex suits were introduced- yes, I'm that old!).

I may have read the same article. A-2s were not 'officially' issued but there was effort to get them, one unit apparently discovered a lot of them in storage somewhere, I think Japan, and 'recquisioned' them for their personnel. They became the object of jealously from other units.

That 'time in' look is always popular.

Phantomfixer

Was that A-2 reissue article in Hell Bent For Leather?? Post war A-2s also had the shoulder decal which read U. S. Air Force under the winged star. I saw a RW belonging to a MAC guy who still had his Korean war A-2 and B-15. The A-2 had the "new" US Air Force decal, neat, and it was redyed to seal brown...
John

oose

Hi all,

more photos of Dell Toedt, first up is one taken in Chile in 1954

and one with l-2a

All the best
stu