• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st LT. J H Macia's A-2

Of all places to find this I was in Tombstone, AZ and found this in a museum where the worlds largest rose bush is.

2-L.jpg

1-L.jpg

It was behind glass and all I had with me was my cell phone so sorry about the crappy image.

dujardin

thanks for this photo

now you have to go back there with a good camera and make splendid photos :lol: :lol:
one of the patch, others of the détails

have this jacket red knitting ?

Rutger

I fail to see the connection between the rose bush and a flight jacket being there, I appreciate that the jacket is posted here, and with those knits too! Now tell us, what really made the day : The rose bush or the jacket ?
Which also makes me wonder how many Doolittle Raiders jackets are still known to exist.

unclegrumpy

Rutger said:
I fail to see the connection between the rose bush and a flight jacket being there
No connection....just a small tourist museum with the worlds largest rose bush outside, and a neat flight jacket in.

dmar836

I'd sure be interested to know how he kept his jacket unrepaired. Apparently, he went on to fly in the MTO and ETO.
I'm sure his flight gear has as interesting a history as him.
Dave

herk115

dmar836 said:
I'd sure be interested to know how he kept his jacket unrepaired. Apparently, he went on to fly in the MTO and ETO.
Dave

Supply sergeants are funny people. Sometimes they don't make you turn in the old when you request the new. This jacket could simply have remained with the owner and not requested back since it was damaged and couldn't be re-issued.He also could have claimed it was "lost" and got a new one. I don't think anyone would have argued with a Doolittle raider.

As an example of the above, I have every pair of Nomex gloves I was issued, simply because supply never asked for the old ones back. I was also able to keep several flight suits that way.

Stony

Cool piece of history for sure. As for the rose bush, I would probably have taken a picture of it and posted it too just for the hell of it.

On another note, if you've ever been to the military antiques musuem in Petaluma, CA, the owner has the scarf that Jimmy Doolittle wore on the raid. J.C. and I just happened to be there when he got it, so we got to see it in the flesh. Nothing spectacular, just a white scarf with a COA signed by Doolittle.

Stony said:
Cool piece of history for sure. As for the rose bush, I would probably have taken a picture of it and posted it too just for the hell of it.
Ask and you shall receive! I did post this picture on Facebook but didn't really think about posting it here. I couldn't get the whole rose bush in one picture because it was just too huge! This was the best I could do, and it was with my cell phone.

IMG-2041F-L.jpg

herk115 said:
dmar836 said:
Dave

Supply sergeants are funny people. Sometimes they don't make you turn in the old when you request the new. This jacket could simply have remained with the owner and not requested back since it was damaged and couldn't be re-issued.He also could have claimed it was "lost" and got a new one. I don't think anyone would have argued with a Doolittle raider.

As an example of the above, I have every pair of Nomex gloves I was issued, simply because supply never asked for the old ones back. I was also able to keep several flight suits that way.

Great jacket and thanks for the posting the pic. I concur with you Herk, I have all my nomex gloves and a nomex jacket that was torn and PRs (parachute Riggers in the Navy) didn't ask for the old ones. They just wanted to make sure that it was documented in my NATOPS jacket that I received the new ones.

herk115

Treetopflyer said:
herk115 said:
dmar836 said:
Dave

Great jacket and thanks for the posting the pic. I concur with you Herk, I have all my nomex gloves and a nomex jacket that was torn and PRs (parachute Riggers in the Navy) didn't ask for the old ones. They just wanted to make sure that it was documented in my NATOPS jacket that I received the new ones.

Thank you. And by the way, you just cleared up a great mystery for me: why what is the "Life Support Shop" in the air force is the "PR Shop" in the navy, and they both have the same function. Never did figure it out until now. For many years I was in an air force unit on a navy base (Mugu), and always had to shift jargon gears when going from one side of the base to the other.