• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Seiko 6139

Happy Hooligan

I thought you guys might like this.

My step dad just gave this to me. The pics are pre-service. I just got it back friday... all cleaned up on the inside, oiled and the top pusher fixed... now everything works.

It's a 1971 Seiko 6139-6002 Auto Chronograph. He picked it up in Japan on Leave. I think a lot of service men in Vietnam wore one of these. They came in the dark blue, gold and white I think. I like the dark blue one, but the gold one is the standard as to this watch.

DSC09709.jpg

DSC09715.jpg

Very cool and sharp looking old Seiko. I have a Seiko that my father wore in Vietnam. I think he said he purchased it on a detail in Japan as well. I have a set of orders somewhere showing he was detached for about a week on courier duty. The watch may have been purchased then.

I like the colors of the bezel on yours. Reminds me of a Rolex GMT-Master with the "Pepsi" insert.

watchmanjimg

That's a beauty! As I type this I'm wearing my near-mint '76 gold-dialed example with the President-style bracelet variant.

I've seen this 6139 configuration with black, blue, gold, and silver dials.

watchmanjimg

Happy Hooligan said:
I'd like to see it with that bracelet....

Technical difficulties kept me from posting a pic of my own watch, but here's a similar example (albeit in lesser condition):

6139-6002+yllw+02.jpg

Happy Hooligan

I like that band. I need to find the end pieces for the one I have... it's not common so it's going to be a while till I can wear it with the original band.

watchmanjimg

Happy Hooligan said:
I like that band. I need to find the end pieces for the one I have... it's not common so it's going to be a while till I can wear it with the original band.

Your band is actually very often seen on earlier examples of this type. However, I'm not sure how easily you'll find the end pieces separately. One suggestion is to try the Seiko/Citizen Watch Forum. Someone there may be able to help. I have a watchmaker friend who has a large inventory of used bracelets including Seiko, but I don't recall seeing one of this type. If I had, I would surely have snagged it long ago. :lol:

siddhartha

Administrator
Beautiful!

I've just lately been getting into the vintage Seikos...

I have a 6105 on the way. I may seek advice on replacing the first watch I ever owned, a Seiko chronograph from Japan in about 1974-76

Chris

Happy Hooligan

siddhartha said:
Beautiful!

I have a 6105 on the way. I may seek advice on replacing the first watch I ever owned, a Seiko chronograph from Japan in about 1974-76

Chris

where did you get your 6105? They're really beautiful... I think I've caught the vintage seiko bug....

siddhartha

Administrator
Happy Hooligan said:
siddhartha said:
Beautiful!

Chris

where did you get your 6105? They're really beautiful... I think I've caught the vintage seiko bug....

This one was sourced on eBay.

I had an all-original one, owned by a pilot (with name engraved on the back) which I foolishly sold right before the prices went through the roof...always missed the watch, and found a restored one on eBay at a relatively reasonable price (about twice what I sold my other one for!).

Should arrive any day.

I love Seiko-it might well be my favorite watch company. They have something in every price range, and have lots of history, and interesting watches. Can be just as addicting as leather jackets!

Chris

watchmanjimg

Here is a quick and spliced-together shot of my Vietnam-era watches. Top row, from left:

1.) Bulova MIL-W-3818A
2.) Benrus MIL-W-3818B, March 1965
3.) Benrus MIL-W-3818B, May 1965
4.) Rolex Oyster Perpetual 1007, 3rd Quarter 1966
5.) Rolex Oyster Perpetual 1500, 1st Quarter 1967 (documented 1969 Taiwan PX purchase)
6.) Benrus MIL-W-3818B, March 1968

Bottom row, from left:

1.) Tudor manual wind, circa 1968
2.) Seiko 6117-8000 Navigator Timer, July 1968
3.) Benrus MIL-W-46374, February 1969
4.) Seiko 7005-8020, April 1969
5.) Seiko 6105-8000, March 1970
6.) Seiko 6117-6410 Navigator Timer, March 1970

NamWatches009.jpg
NamWatches008.jpg
NamWatches007.jpg

watchmanjimg

Clark, I've dealt with that seller (Lorenz Trafela) before and he's quite a stand-up guy. The watch in the auction you listed appears to date from December 1973.

Clark J

Just might be but I was old enough to remeber he had one just like it when he got back in 69.

What a great thread!

I probably should visit the Seiko forum, but can anybody tell me anything about this one that was my father's ? I don't know much at all about vintage Seiko.

I had it serviced and put a band on it a couple of years ago. This is the one I think he bought either at the PX in Da Nang or in Japan while he was deployed to Vietnam. He's no longer here for me to ask though, so I may have this confused with another watch. I also have some old Bulova and Hamilton watches he wore in the service.

standard.jpg

dmar836

Not VN era and hardly in the same league but this was my watch from jr high. Pins wore through the band and it doesn't currently run but I always loved it. Kinda scratched up a bit but I sure would like to use it as a daily wearer again! Unlike my modern Citizen, it never failed me!

IMG_7350.jpg

Dave

watchmanjimg

Clyde from Carolina said:
What a great thread!

I probably should visit the Seiko forum, but can anybody tell me anything about this one that was my father's ? I don't know much at all about vintage Seiko.

I had it serviced and put a band on it a couple of years ago. This is the one I think he bought either at the PX in Da Nang or in Japan while he was deployed to Vietnam. He's no longer here for me to ask though, so I may have this confused with another watch. I also have some old Bulova and Hamilton watches he wore in the service.

standard.jpg

Clyde:

That's a beauty and definitely Vietnam-era. Can you post a picture of the back? I suspect it's of 1968 or earlier vintage. Would that coincide with your dad's service?