• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970s USN Windbreaker

deand

Anticipating warmer temps as spring gets closer, I won this USN windbreaker for about 30 bucks shipped. It's tagged a 40R, but the measurements provided by the seller place it in the 42-44 range, shoulder to shoulder 21", armpit to armpit 24", collar to bottom 28", sleeve 35". We shall see.

CEIybSwBWkKGrHqQOKo0E0flOvQubBNQ8nNe1Sw_3.jpg

CEIyb3wB2kKGrHqYOKioE0sKbl8PBNQ8nSEeF_3.jpg

CEIyeyQmkKGrHqEOKiME0j5RD6pBNQ8nnQj8g_3.jpg

CEIyeOgWkKGrHqQOKm8Ez39zRQDRBNQ8njE9g_3.jpg

CEIydZCWkKGrHqUOKpIE0VM4LTqYBNQ8ndVPvg_3.jpg

dean

Dr H

Good price Dean...
Measurements do look like a 42-44...in gibbon sizing :p
Sleeve 35"?! :eek: perhaps 25"? ;)
Hope the weather warms for you soon.

deand

Dr H said:
Good price Dean...
Measurements do look like a 42-44...in gibbon sizing :p
Sleeve 35"?! :eek: perhaps 25"? ;)
Hope the weather warms for you soon.

Thanks! Didn't think about that sleeve size. Was he measuring from the collar? He called it "tailor's sleeve length".

dean

Willy McCoy

Nice Jacket!! When it states sleeve length at 35" it means from the center/base of the neck to the end of the cuff.

deand

Willy McCoy said:
Nice Jacket!! When it states sleeve length at 35" it means from the center/base of the neck to the end of the cuff.

Thanks! Looking forward to an issue jacket for when it's too warm for an L-2B, A-2, or MA-1.

dean

A

Anonymous

Excellent !
I always wented one, being in the Navy and all.

Atticus

Dean, I like that Navy jacket. I especially like the epaulettes and chinch belts. They make it look military as opposed to looking like a windbreaker from J C Penny’s or Belks.

I have a couple of similar flight jackets that I use for spring and autumn wear. I've never known for sure what they're called, but the Army once issued them to its helicopter crews. They're nomex, but not like the nomex used in the CWU jackets. These are more like poplin. The one in the photo below still had attached its Warrant Officer bars and unit patch when it came to me.

They're great spring and fall jeep jackets. In my opinion, they're as good as the CWU-36/P and better than the skimpy L-2B.

BpgQ9Cg2kKGrHqQH-CgEuW0gCbCBLrr8-7y.jpg

AF

deand

It went to a good home! Didn't fit! Should have known! I'll get one that does, someday. Plenty on ebay in the militaria section. Just have to cool-off on the credit card use, even great deals add up! Warm days coming and leather and nylon will just be too hot! :cry:

dean

Peter Graham

deand said:
It went to a good home!
And here it is at it's new home. Dean, you're a true gentleman. I suspect this jacket will get some serious wear this summer. The boots are 50's Dutch army copies of WW2 US jump boots.
car009.jpg

car010.jpg

deand

That's a sharp look, indeed! If I get authorization, I'm going for one! Thanks for posting the shots , Peter!

dean

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I´ve got the exact same jacket, which has logged thousands of flight time over the Atlantic by now!!!

Oddly it´s a size 44R and fits like a 40-42, which is more my size. Great jacket for indoors or hot weather. By the way; where can I find replacement buttons for it?

Thanks!!!