• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950's USN insigina.

chamboid

I'm after a chest insignia for a Monarch 7823(aer) where could I find a good data base of correct period patches?

chamboid

thanks, i think it going to have to be a round patch to cover the previous stich holes, I want the wear the jacket so want the patch to be reasonably subdued, no too many skulls or lions etc

I like some of the ATKRON patches, but can't seem to find ones that date to the 50's for certain?

Maverickson

chamboid said:
thanks, i think it going to have to be a round patch to cover the previous stich holes, I want the wear the jacket so want the patch to be reasonably subdued, no too many skulls or lions etc

I like some of the ATKRON patches, but can't seem to find ones that date to the 50's for certain?

Hi,

It is nice to see someone else interested in USN jackets on the forum!

From what you are indicating and in particular an excellent source for ATKRON squadron patches can be found here http://a4skyhawk.org/2e/navy.htm . The type of patches seen on that A-4 Association webpage are my main concentration for USN patch collecting. Currently, there are very few squadron patches on that web page that I do not already have.

It is my experience that and for the most part all those early 1950's USN squadron patches were round and approximated 4" to 5" in diameter. Soon thereafter or by the early 1960s most all attack squadrons added either a scroll or banner to their patch design. However, there are always exceptions and some squadron's maintained their original round design throughout the life of their squadron.

In the future, the real trick will be trying to figure out which patches that you find available are the original :)

Cheers, Dave

chamboid

That's a great sight Mavrickson thanks

I won a rather beaten up Monarch 7823 very cheaply and have sent it to BK to do a number on. It's had an insignia removed from the right chest, so thought I'd find another patch to cover it. It reading up
About the VA-116sqaudron at the moment,
Asni think that's the patch I'll put in the jacket.