• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s USAF Sage Man's Field Cap UPDATED

watchmanjimg

Pepe, that's the "Cap, Field, Heavy," isn't it? I'm pretty sure the cotton sateen version can be found with both designations.

flightmac

watchmanjimg said:
Pepe, that's the "Cap, Field, Heavy," isn't it? I'm pretty sure the cotton sateen version can be found with both designations.

Thanks. Yes, that's it. I just found the "Field" caps (both types). I'm afraid to say I never noticed :oops: only one "light weight" sage green cap I have (the one in the best condition) says:

Cap, Utility, Man's
Cotton Sateen
Sage Green

but 2 of the others just say:

Cap, Field, Man's
Sage Green

Perhaps as you said different contracts. Unfortunately, only the one marked Utility has a stamping that's 100% legible.

Willy McCoy

The field cap with the ear flaps is the best cap I've ever found. Very practical and very well made. Between the sateen lining and the cotton twill shell there is a plastic lining that keeps you dry through anything. I have 3 of them. One even states Air Force & Marines on the nomenclature tag.
CAP, FIELD, HEAVY
SPEC.MIL C-4407 A
AF S/N 8405-269-5608
CONT. NO. QM-9629
H. BERNSTEIN & CO.
There are some good photos of B-58 crews wearing them on the Hustlers homepage.

watchmanjimg

Willy McCoy said:
One even states Air Force & Marines on the nomenclature tag.

I'm glad you pointed out this unusual variant. I've seen it before and the consensus seems to be that the USMC Supply Activity was called on to help out with a production shortage. There have also been M51 field jackets so marked, but in use by the Army.

Willy McCoy

I just picked up another NOS one for $23.35 shipped from eBay.
Nomenclature tag for Marine variant:
CAP, FIELD, HEAVY
SPEC. MIL-C-4407A (USAF)
SIZE......................7 3/4
S/N...8405-269-5608
PROJECT ORDER NO. 830
MARINE CORPS SUPPLY ACTIVITY

deand

Willy McCoy said:
I just picked up another NOS one for $23.35 shipped from eBay.
Nomenclature tag for Marine variant:
CAP, FIELD, HEAVY
SPEC. MIL-C-4407A (USAF)
SIZE......................7 3/4
S/N...8405-269-5608
PROJECT ORDER NO. 830
MARINE CORPS SUPPLY ACTIVITY

I'm pretty sure I've seen that cap listed for quite a while. Big one! Had a chance at one of those a few years ago, but passed it up and I can't remember why. Wish I hadn't.

dean

Willy McCoy

My hat size is 7 3/8's but this 7 3/4's hat fits me spot on. I don't know if it's because they have shrunk over time or they shrink a little in the rain. The seller on eBay has a ton of them. The best everyday hat I've ever had for three season wear. The light weight hat that was introduced in Vietnam is not my favorite item at all. The hat that I like is the Ridgeway Cap that was offered at the PX. The ones that I see on eBay are too small though. I did luck out on a buy for a lot of two of them that were mis titled in the auction that are 7 3/8's. Squadron caps are the best one can get for summer wear. Not too keen on the M-1951s either.

deand

Willy McCoy said:
My hat size is 7 3/8's but this 7 3/4's hat fits me spot on. I don't know if it's because they have shrunk over time or they shrink a little in the rain. The seller on eBay has a ton of them. The best everyday hat I've ever had for three season wear. The light weight hat that was introduced in Vietnam is not my favorite item at all. The hat that I like is the Ridgeway Cap that was offered at the PX. The ones that I see on eBay are too small though. I did luck out on a buy for a lot of two of them that were mis titled in the auction that are 7 3/8's. Squadron caps are the best one can get for summer wear. Not too keen on the M-1951s either.

I might go for it, then, if they fit a 7 3/8. That's my size, too!

dean