• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s USAF Nylon Jacket

MACAnimal

Hello All,
I was wondering what the designation of a USAF issue blue nylon (presumably) flying jacket? Jimmy Stewart wore it while flying a B-36 in the movie "Strategic Air Command." The jacket was short, used zipper and had epaulettes. This jacket seems similar to the silver-green/international orange reversible jacket of USAF issue in the Vietnam era. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, guys.
----------MACAnimal

watchmanjimg

MACAnimal said:
Hello All,
I was wondering what the designation of a USAF issue blue nylon (presumably) flying jacket? Jimmy Stewart wore it while flying a B-36 in the movie "Strategic Air Command." The jacket was short, used zipper and had epaulettes. This jacket seems similar to the silver-green/international orange reversible jacket of USAF issue in the Vietnam era. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, guys.
----------MACAnimal

It's the L-2A, descendant of the olive drab L-2 and followed by the L-2B you describe. This was intended for use in the "Light Zone" which I believe comprised temperatures ranging from 45-65 degrees Fahrenheit.