• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"1941 Cooper A-2" on ebay

Jason

A bit like a newspaper headline, the first thing that pops into mind is that some dolt has got themselves a 1980s Cooper and automatically assumes its of 1940s vintage and is trying to flog it off as such. Sometimes you forget that Cooper Sportswear - no association with the modern day namesake - did have a contract in 1941, and made a rather nice looking A-2. Collar is a bit too large for my liking, but otherwise a nice jacket. Andrew certainly doesn't collect average examples... you have to wonder what he'll replace it with?

Roughwear

As a size 40 this rare jacket is too small for me, although I can get it on. It displays well and there is strong interest in it from Japan. I have bought several jackets recently I need to recoup somme of the outlay, which is all part of this hobby.

Stony

Not only is this a rare contract, it's an outstanding example in great shape. The zipper is unique to this contract also. :cool:

This jacket should bring big bucks. :eek:

Roughwear

Thanks for your endorsement Stony. I hope you are right. A well known Japanese dealer is bidding on it and he usually goes high!

saunders

Stony said:
Not only is this a rare contract, it's an outstanding example in great shape. The zipper is unique to this contract also. :cool:

There are a few other contracts I've seen with this type of Kwik zipper but it is certainly rare.

It surely will be interesting to see how just how much someone values this contract. A friend had an absolutely superb example (about 95% new) with full back painting and squadron insignia named to a B-17 pilot in the 8th. He sold it as part of a fairly large grouping from the vet that also included a really, really nice RW 23380 A-2 that was also named to this pilot, but when this all sold (about 1998), the price largely hinged on condition, history, completeness and extent of the grouping, and the quality of the painting on the Cooper; the rarity of Cooper didn't seem to matter much. But this is a different story here, as this A-2 is being sold based solely on what it is, so I'll stick my neck out and say $2, 200.00 - $3,000.00. If it didn't have the repairs and replaced parts, I'd have said more.

Saunders

Roughwear

If the lining is replaced it would be a very wearable jacket, but without it is best as a display item. The price of A2s has dropped in recent months and I would be amazed if it goes as high as you suggest Saunders, but only time will tell.

By the way Saunders it would be nice to know your first name and secondly to see pictures of your jackets posted on the forum.

Stony

Thanks for your endorsement Stony. I hope you are right. A well known Japanese dealer is bidding on it and he usually goes high!

No need to endorse this jacket as it's condition speaks for itself. If it were my size or I was accumulating a collection, I would be in on the bidding myself. :eek:

Gary Eastman owns an original Cooper I had about five years ago.

saunders

Roughwear said:
If the lining is replaced it would be a very wearable jacket, but without it is best as a display item. The price of A2s has dropped in recent months and I would be amazed if it goes as high as you suggest Saunders, but only time will tell.

By the way Saunders it would be nice to know your first name and secondly to see pictures of your jackets posted on the forum.

You really think A-2 have dropped recently? I thought they were posting a rebound from some of the Ebay sales I've seen: A really fine painted RW 1401 just eclipsed $4, 000, that super Dubow 20960 met my prediction and doubled at just over $2, 500 this week, a RW 23380 w/ patches and awesome history went for over $3, 000, there was the fab Monarch w/ incised-leather insignia hitting about $2, 700 and a stunning Aero 15142 brining about $2, 500, naming just a few.

I go to shows and never see prices realized like this; it's totally an internet/Ebay thing. I could purchase A-2s in wonderful shape at the shows I hit for what amounts to wholesale prices and double my dough on Ebay, but I'm not a dealer (recently saw one w/ full back painting in superb condition go to a guy I know for $1, 150, and a solid 80% A-2 in size 44 sell for $800). And I'm not big jacket collector; I have a select few, though I enjoy studying and learning about them all and many other items of militaria. My primary collecting interest these days centers on historical items and groupings of the German Heer, Luft. and W-SS, with special emphasis on soldbuchs and items ID'd to those who were KIA.

Documented items of military history are what drive the market right now, and likely will for as far as we can see. GI M-1 helmets are the single-best performer in WWII militaria right now, especially those with history and unit markings and/or camo; it seems new highs are being set at every show I attend. But you follow flying jackets more than I do and probably know more about them than I do, so I'll defer to your learned opinion if you say A-2 prices have declined. Approximately when did this price decline begin that you mention? I'll go on the record now and say they'll be going up right along with general interest in A-2s once Gary Eastman's book is released and digested by the collector market.

Regarding pics, I don't own a digi cam and have no reason to have one. When absolutely needed, I must rely on the generosity of my other half, who happens to be a professional photographer who is very, very fussy about me (or anyone else) touching her gear.

As I recall, Virgil Hilts had a distinct preference for being called Hilts and everyone seemed to manage okay. So, Saunders will do just fine, but that shouldn't preclude us from any cordiality or exchanges of knowledge and experience.

saunders

Stony said:

No need to endorse this jacket as it's condition speaks for itself. If it were my size or I was accumulating a collection, I would be in on the bidding myself. :eek:

Gary Eastman owns an original Cooper I had about five years ago.

That must have been one hell of a jacket! Gary once said it's among the finest of any he owns. Between that and the M-422 you now have, it seems you're a magnet for these premier examples. What's your secret?

Saunders

saunders

saunders said:
Stony said:

There are a few other contracts I've seen with this type of Kwik zipper but it is certainly rare.

Saunders

Correction on my brain fart above - That should be Conmar zip and NOT a Kwik!

Roughwear

Very rare A2s and many painted A2s have held their price quite well in the current climate as they are seen as investments, but run of the mill A2s appear to fetch less than they did a year or so ago when sold on Ebay. There is a similar trend for Irvin jackets.

ButteMT61

Jackets don't get good prices in the summers from my watching/buying/selling adventures. I wait until fall I sell and buy in the summer. Given the 100º+ temps all over, not many are looking for a warm jacket, or thinking about them. Collectibles might fare better, but I don't have any of those types of jackets.

Roughwear

Scott, you are correct in respect of many repros, especially sheepskin jackets. The market for high end original collectable jackets seems strong throughout the year.

ButteMT61

Roughwear said:
Scott, you are correct in respect of many repros, especially sheepskin jackets. The market for high end original collectable jackets seems strong throughout the year.

Good luck on the Cooper. I do want some authentic WWII gear, but for me, it has to double as an item I can use at times. I do have a link to a member with a big A-2, so down the road when I have clear financials, I'll be entertaining that purchase. It's darn hard finding the big, good examples that are reasonable in cost. And a number of ones I've run across seemed to have spent some time on those with, um, a bulge in the equator. I'm a relatively thin guy now, so it has to look decent :)

Stony

As I recall, Virgil Hilts had a distinct preference for being called Hilts

He actually preferred being called "Captain Hilts" when addressed by the Germans and would flip up the collar on his A-2 and show his bars. ;)

saunders

Stony said:
As I recall, Virgil Hilts had a distinct preference for being called Hilts

He actually preferred being called "Captain Hilts" when addressed by the Germans and would flip up the collar on his A-2 and show his bars. ;)

You are correct - those are classic moments! But I was referring to the scene when Bartlett was getting friendly with Hilts, leading up to asking him to escape to gather intel and then get caught and put in the cooler so as to dispense the intel back at camp:

Bartlett: Your name is Virgil, isn't it?

Hilts: It's Hilts. Just keep it Hilts.

:cool:

GoodTimesGone

I think the title has been revised on this listing, putting the "Cooper" part in the subheading. Not a bad idea I suppose since the Cooper name might make a few potential bidders pass this by. If I could own any original A-2 contract, my first choice would be Cooper. I have an affinity for them since I own a couple of their civilian versions from the '40s. I also like the details on them that are similiar to Rough Wear A-2s. If I had the funds currently I would offer much competition in the bidding for this Cooper contract A-2 (and it's in my size too! :( ) Best wishes to you Andrew- I hope this brings the price that it deserves.

Roughwear

Thanks Tom. I don't recall revising the listing at all, being aware that Cooper in the main title can cause confusion with recent reproductions. There are plenty of watchers and I suspect there may be bids in the last few seconds. Fingers crossed!