• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Aero B-3 Saved from Trash Pile - Suggestions?

Micawber

That would be amazing - and practical for winter driving in the Jeep. Well, at least that's how I'd attempt to sell the idea to my wife, ha.

They make good Jeep coats but be aware they are a substantial garment so if you are like me and on the larger side - and your MB or GPW is stock you will know all about lack of space between the steering wheel and drivers seat - be aware that a B-3 takes up a fair chunk of extra room! I currently have a '43 MB but years ago, back when I was collecting, I would wear an original B-3 when driving previous Jeeps in winter and think nothing of stuffing it under a seat when not in use. That was years ago and the intervening years have taken their toll [they were relatively frail even during WW2 and damaged / rotted easily], survivors should be treated with more care nowadays so a repro is the next best thing.

NorthBayRay

They make good Jeep coats but be aware they are a substantial garment so if you are like me and on the larger side - and your MB or GPW is stock you will know all about lack of space between the steering wheel and drivers seat - be aware that a B-3 takes up a fair chunk of extra room! I currently have a '43 MB but years ago, back when I was collecting, I would wear an original B-3 when driving previous Jeeps in winter and think nothing of stuffing it under a seat when not in use. That was years ago and the intervening years have taken their toll [they were relatively frail even during WW2 and damaged / rotted easily], survivors should be treated with more care nowadays so a repro is the next best thing.
Yep that jeep is definitely form-fitting all right. In winter, I currently wear a B-3-esque fur lined leather coat that I found on a bargain rack way back in the 90's, it can be a bit of a squeeze but it's manageable. I guess that's good incentive to maintain my girlish figure, ha.

Paul Glover

That is a great jacket with a good chance of being restored !, as previously stated by other members it is difficult to determine the exact state of the intact fleece without being able to see it in person.
However dont be too quick to decide that it is a display piece only.
I own two original b3 jackets one of which I wear when it is cold enough confident that it is not going to fall apart . When I bought this jacket 15 yrs ago it was as stiff as a board but numerous careful treatments with Pecards over a number of months brought it back to a pliable wearable state and has not deteriorated during my ownership (pictures attached).
Some people have stated that shearling treated as on the B3 jackets will not soak in leather softener products but I have always used Pecards with very good results.
The second one i own was in a state similar to yours (see pictures) I bought a pair of damaged flight trousers made with the same depth of fleece and made by the same maker as the jacket and used this fleece to have the jacket repaired to a good standard, but I do not wear it because of its size.
Although I do some hand stitching repairs I employed a proffessional to replace the arm and shoulder pieces, and I am sure that some of our members who make and repair jackets would consider your jacket to be a straightforward repair once suitable fleece is sourced.
Good luck with your great rescue! , it looks like it was issued (nametag stitching visible) but it doesnt look like it saw much action.

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_124209128_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200120_124209128_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20180418_191526079.jpg
    IMG_20180418_191526079.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20200118_180109635.jpg
    IMG_20200118_180109635.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20180418_191552882.jpg
    IMG_20180418_191552882.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20200120_123955809_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200120_123955809_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200118_175948106.jpg
    IMG_20200118_175948106.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200118_180031426.jpg
    IMG_20200118_180031426.jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20180418_191519866.jpg
    IMG_20180418_191519866.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20180418_191605715.jpg
    IMG_20180418_191605715.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 48

NorthBayRay

That is a great jacket with a good chance of being restored !, as previously stated by other members it is difficult to determine the exact state of the intact fleece without being able to see it in person.
However dont be too quick to decide that it is a display piece only.
Stunning work and great info, thank you Paul. It would be great to find a local leatherworker who could give me a quick assessment of restorability. As for being wearable, I'm a 42R so this 38 will be slightly too small in the shoulders so I probably can't wear it regardless - but even getting it to static display condition would be nice.

Pa12

Stunning work and great info, thank you Paul. It would be great to find a local leatherworker who could give me a quick assessment of restorability. As for being wearable, I'm a 42R so this 38 will be slightly too small in the shoulders so I probably can't wear it regardless - but even getting it to static display condition would be nice.
Are you in North bay Ontario?

Dumpster D

As for being wearable
Restore the original.

Have someone make a 'clone' copied from it, in your size. Boom! Two Jackets, one you have saved from being trashed and lost forever, and a brand spanking Copy of it to totally enjoy wearing!!

That's a great idea!!

I'm saving up for the same project. I have an original Aero Mixed batch B-3 that I would love nothing more in the world than to have a wearable copy of my original B-3 jacket. I'd feel like I was on top of Everest. I'll bring you back a snow cone! :D

Pa12

It's like being in the North American Bermuda Triangle, except there's a Tim Horton's every five minutes.
Drove there once years ago to change an aileron. Ramp guy had run into it. Impossible to wear gloves on that job and I think that’s the closest I’ve come to frostbite. The ramp guy hung out with us until we were done so we took him to the local peeler joint for a couple beers before heading back;)

Dumpster D

That’s why I try to be self sufficient. Good help is getting scarce.
"The lord helps those who help themselves"

I've had to go and re-trace my route and pick up my hub caps off the side of the road twice a year, annually. More than you might think it would happen.

It's a place known as 'Canadian Tire'

2lq8cf.jpg

Pa12

"The lord helps those who help themselves"

I've had to go and re-trace my route and pick up my hub caps off the side of the road twice a year, annually. More than you might think it would happen.

It's a place known as 'Canadian Tire'

View attachment 135605
Yikes. Absolute worst. I know someone who lost a wheel thanks to them. Someone else an engine. Didn’t install the plug after an oil change.

Micawber

Getting back to the OP’s B-3… I have seen and had / dealt with worse in the past. Anything is possible given the time, skills and money, or passing it to someone who has the first couple of attributes.
As obtaining the item cost nothing it’s worth having a go saving it.