• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Irvin-size 6

Roughwear

This is my most recent Irvin purchase. It's a 1939 contract Irvin by Irvin Air Chute, but made in 1940. The label reads: B25526/39/C.I.B. SIZE 6 HEIGHT 5' 11"-6'-1" BREAST 40-42 WAIST 36-38. 1940.

Originally it was an electrically wired jacket, but the wiring harness was removed years ago and the stitch holes are nowhard to see. It is in outstanding condition, with very little fleece loss on the cuffs and hem. The zips are all single trunnion brass DOTs and the leather pulls are all original. The elastic collar securing strap is also original. I particularly like the contrasting tan seamtapes, collar back and belt. The finish to the reverse sheepskin is excellent and it is very supple and strong.

I have a very similar pre-War IAC Irvin which is exactly the same size and has the same features as this jacket. The actual measurements are:

Pit to pit: 24"
Sleeve from shoulder to end of cuff:27"
Across the shoulders:22"
Down the back(from base of collar):26"

015-18.jpg

016-20.jpg

028-7.jpg

023-10.jpg

018-13.jpg

020-14.jpg

026-9.jpg

027-7.jpg

025-12.jpg

030-6.jpg

It's also a very comfortable fit!
032-4.jpg

033-6.jpg

A

Anonymous

Nice score Andrew. I'm most jealous of you. However I need to curb my addiction for the foreseeable and even if I had seen that jacket, I would've had to pass so it's good to see it go to a good owner. And if you ever decide to part with it in the future, I'll be a bangin' on your door !

And thanks for the as-always great photos.

Dave

srivats

Very, very nice Irvin andrew ... the fleece is in outstanding condition as is the leather. Excellent buy.

fleet16b

Andrew
Great jacket,it looks identical to the Links jacket that I posted pics of a week ago.
I posed a question on another thread about cleaning but got no replies.
In your experiences, what is the best way to clean the leather on an Irvin
prior to Pecards?

Thanks
fleet16b

Roughwear

fleet16b said:
Andrew
Great jacket,it looks identical to the Links jacket that I posted pics of a week ago.
I posed a question on another thread about cleaning but got no replies.
In your experiences, what is the best way to clean the leather on an Irvin
prior to Pecards?

Thanks
fleet16b

Thanks Fleet16b. If you compare this jacket with your Links there are differences, such as the rounded collar on the Links and the thinner pile. IAC Irvins have square ended collars, smaller links in the hanging chains. They both have smaller collar rings and the normal DOT or Lightning zips. BTW I have just put a size 5 Links Irvin on Ebay.

Falcon_52

Andrew:

Forgive this question from a novice: what is the piece of hardware on top of each sleeve that looks like a ring snap? Is this a jack for plugging electric gloves into the jacket?

By the way, that's another real beauty you've picked up there!

Thanks,

Noel

Roughwear

Falcon_52 said:
Andrew:

Forgive this question from a novice: what is the piece of hardware on top of each sleeve that looks like a ring snap? Is this a jack for plugging electric gloves into the jacket?

By the way, that's another real beauty you've picked up there!

Thanks,

Noel

Noel you are spot on about the jack. :)

fleet16b

[

Thanks Fleet16b. If you compare this jacket with your Links there are differences, such as the rounded collar on the Links and the thinner pile. IAC Irvins have square ended collars, smaller links in the hanging chains. They both have smaller collar rings and the normal DOT or Lightning zips. BTW I have just put a size 5 Links Irvin on Ebay.[/quote]

Andrew

Yes I see the differences.
Besides that the leather grain and wiring stitching locations are pretty close.
As for cleaning I have had only had one suggestion( eastman cleaner)
Do you have any other ideas ?

Thanks
fleet