• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Aero being sold by forum member

Roughwear

Silver Surfer said:
the size 1939 aero is the one i posted about. by the measurements, its more like a 38 or 40, imho

Victor I presume you mean the 1940 contract(made from sometime between July 1939 and June 1940), which has recently been listed on Ebay. As you say it does appear to fit larger than a size 36 and may be worth buying just for the label. The zip is of course a replacement, but the knits look original.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3D1&_rdc=1

TankBuster

Roughwear said:
So there are now six known survivors from the 1940 contract. If the jacket doesn't make the reserve George you might consider installing the original label from the size 36 Aero as it would complete your jacket and increase its value. I doubt if this small jacket will be on the market for long.

Andrew,
I think it is very safe to say there are a fair amount more than 6 out there. I know of a couple myself that are with various collectors. Many jackets never see the light of eBay or a jacket forum but rather are sold collector to collector on the private market. For example, a very large collector who had many of his jackets in the Maguire books sold off most of his collection a couple years back. Not even one made it to eBay. The prices were outrageous, but I heard they all sold.

Roughwear

Thanks Jeff. I was m just going on the ones which I knew of and am glad you know of two more in collections. Nevertheless it's a rare contract.

Dr H

Jeff, out of interest, do you know whether there was there a SAT in that collection?

Silver Surfer

yup, i have a coupla jac from js industries. and yup, andrew, you are quite correct about the aero. zipper-replaced, but the rest looks just about right. someone is going to get a deal here. also, its funny that it raining these early early aeros. i sold mine years ago to a japanese collector for some serious coin. im still wondering if i did the right thing. dough vs way cool jac?????/

TankBuster

Dr H said:
Jeff, out of interest, do you know whether there was there a SAT in that collection?

I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be suprised. This guy has/had some serious stuff! Nothing off limits.

Dr H

I'm still interested to know where the SAT in The Art of the Flight Jacket ended up...

TankBuster

Silver Surfer said:
yup, i have a coupla jac from js industries. and yup, andrew, you are quite correct about the aero. zipper-replaced, but the rest looks just about right. someone is going to get a deal here. also, its funny that it raining these early early aeros. i sold mine years ago to a japanese collector for some serious coin. im still wondering if i did the right thing. dough vs way cool jac?????/

Yes, J.S. is one of the recent sell offs and the one I referred to. There have been a couple others on a smaller scale as well. Nice to hear you purchased a couple. He had some great items!!