• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 early B-3 and B-2 picture for sale

Roughwear

Thanks for sharing this picture Stu. The early B-3 is interesting with the absence of leather sleeve protection. It looks like a Werber from the first B-3 contract-35-1545-p made from undyed shearling.

Dr H

Thanks for posting the latter. An interesting A-1 with comparatively large pockets and some interesting 'dished' buttons that I've not seen before.

oose

One for the Navy....President Herbert Hoover's son Allan Hoover from Sep. 15, 1931 and Cmdr E Wayn Todd commander of Fleet Air Base Pearl Harbour

All the best
stu

Dr H

Interesting contrast - that's the cut I'd have expected: smaller pockets with more angular pocket flaps.

Man, that is one grizzled looking lieutenant—probably not all that uncommon for that era, though:

stubbyeighth

navvet

Stubby8th, Many between the war officers remained junior officers well into their thirties. Once WW2 started they quickly rose through the ranks, having more experience than the college age men starting to flood the ranks(some of them also gained rank rather fast due to the casualty rate).

navvet said:
Stubby8th, Many between the war officers remained junior officers well into their thirties. Once WW2 started they quickly rose through the ranks, having more experience than the college age men starting to flood the ranks(some of them also gained rank rather fast due to the casualty rate).

Navvet, yes, thanks for your reply. I'd heard about aged, junior post-war officers before, but I'd never seen it so graphically illustated. Thought I'd Google "Lieut. Lawson H. Sanderson" after your post and his career bears out your claim. From http://earlyaviators.com/esanders.htm:

Nice pic on Sandy Sanderson. I see you are in need of a little bio info on Sandy.
Sandy was born on July 22, 1895 in Shelton, WA. He attended the University of Montana graduating in 1917. He was the first squadron commander to lead VF-9M (the first organized Marine Fighter squadron which later became VMF-1) in 1925.
In 1966 Shelton Airport was officially named Lawson Field in his honor.
He passed away on June 11, 1979 in San Diego, CA

and this:

You will find a brief, but important, reference to Brig. Gen. Sanderson in this very comprehensive article entitled To Hell and Back: Wake During and After World War II by Dirk H.R. Spennemann. It is just one of many stories which are maintained on an archive by Mr. Spennemann which is entitled The Marshall Islands, An Electronic Library & Archive of Primary Sources. If you access the page by clicking on the title above, you will find the following paragraph.
"On September 2nd, Japan surrendered in Tokyo Bay, and on September 7th, 1945, Wake was formally surrendered to the U.S.A. to Brig.Gen.Lawson Sanderson (USMC). The atoll is disarmed, all mobile weapons collected, land mines removed and ammunition caches destroyed."

So, ol' Lawson was a Brig. General by war's end.

stubbyeighth

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
xt40 said:
i think this is earlier as the b-2 and trousers seem almost new and i believe i can see the chest pocket is still attached

The Technical Order for the removal of the pockets prior to issue, is dated May 24, 1934.

Falcon_52

Speaking of pockets, the photo above really shows why the successor B-3 jacket has its pocket where it is. There is an area below the parachute harness where the pocket would fit just about perfectly. It just struck me as I was looking at the photo; I'm sure it's old news.

Noel