• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

15thAF 449thBG 719thSq tribute jacket

Andrew

This was posted ages ago- may have been the other forum, but since it's now complete I thought i'd put it back up. This is my first Goodwear- almost 2 years old now, it's a United Sheeplined size 46 made with Bonanza Mesa Steerhide.

About a year and a half ago I came across a 91 yr old B-24 Ball turret gunner Vet of the 449thBG who had started to paint jackets, first one was a repro for himself and his daughter, then a couple of others for other close friends or relatives of Vets. I was just lucky he was kind enough to do a copy of his own jacket for me (his jacket doesn't have a Sq patch, just the BG insignia on the front). When they received the jacket they were amazed by the quality and attention to detail of John's work. He also made me a Squadron patch which i've now had sewn on so it's now the full bottle. I'm not happy about the placement of the patch by my leather guy, I feel it's too close to the zip, however I note that they were located all over the place- probably not worth moving it across half an inch and having a set of holes exposed- any comments?

Here are the final shots and a bit of other background info. Last time I spoke with his Daughter he was happy to take an order or two just to keep him off the streets and earn a little cash- pm me if you're interested. I count it as a rare privelige to have this jacket.

A2Jacket2.jpg

He painted the Noseart- very demure, and not quite the standards of many but a good effort.
JohnJcrew.jpg

HPIM1037.jpg

HPIM1050.jpg

HPIM1139.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

better duck

Really great shots of this vet painting your jacket! Great jacket too!
As to the placement of the patch: leave it there; hadn't you commented on it, I wouldn't have noticed, as a matter of fact I still don't: it looks fine were it is.

dujardin

hello Andrew,

i remember you presented this months ago.
splendid jacket.
concerning the patch, same as Peter; for myself i would change nothing.
i take a look on my jacket and my patch i also place as yours.
and i take 5 minutes to search in my file ''painted jacket & insignias'' and i see a little bit of everything, close to the zipper or not; a little bit high or down, aso aso....
it depend also of the size of the patch, if there are wings, name tag....
i like your jacket very well and don't think your patche is badly and/or wrongly sewed.

byeeeeeee marcel

Roughwear

Andrew I agree with the others. The patch is fine. You see quite a variety of locations for patches on originals. The Sheeplined A2 looks superb now after two years wear-just like an original. Thanks for sharing this with us. Is the vet still in good health?

Ok--I'm being redundant. But quite a story, and what an amazing jacket: John J's artistry is a wonderful compliment to John C's artistry. The Bonanza Mesa looks fantastic. And for heaven's sake don't move that patch!

stubbyeighth

TankBuster

Very nice Andrew. The patch is in the most common place originals are.
I would of had it placed exactly there.
I agree that this jacket really looks like a original. The painting and patch
have that wartime look that is very hard to replicate. I would be proud to
sport that one around.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew the position of the patch is perfect and by this it is resting on the flatest part of the body and will show nice when the jacket is unzipped .I thing you will find where you would of liked it it would be constantly be partly covered by the arm and be dangerously close to the curve of the body .I too have studied many pictures in my book after reading this post and would have to say it not close but right on target for position .Still not convinced put another patch in place further over on another of your jackets with electrical tape and you will see what I mean ,zipped unzipped looking in the mirror.

all the best Jeff