• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

13th Bomb Squadron Grim Reapers Grouping from Long Beach

a2jacketpatches

Japanese or Korean made?
airforcegrouping004.jpg

airforcegrouping002.jpg

airforcegrouping006.jpg

airforcegrouping005.jpg

unclegrumpy

The ribbon set, Major's leaf, and wing look to be, and are probably Japanese made. The Grim Reaper's patch is a 1960's or 1970's blazer emblem, and likely Pakistani made. I have a similar blazer emblem that has a label on it...."Gold Crest Ltd., North Hollywood, CA" but with no Country of origin. However, I am reasonably sure it is Pakistani made from the same time period.

TankBuster

unclegrumpy said:
The ribbon set, Major's leaf, and wing look to be, and are probably Japanese made. The Grim Reaper's patch is a 1960's or 1970's blazer emblem, and likely Pakistani made. I have a similar blazer emblem that has a label on it...."Gold Crest Ltd., North Hollywood, CA" but with no Country of origin. However, I am reasonably sure it is Pakistani made from the same time period.

I would concur with this. The patch is a later piece.

a2jacketpatches

Makes sense, I had a similar patch years ago for another squadron. Probably purchased for a reunion or something.

Can anyone ID the green ribbon?

unclegrumpy

a2jacketpatches said:
Can anyone ID the green ribbon?

The green ribbon is for an Army Commendation Medal. This started out in 1945 as a ribbon only award, so this fellow could have easily been awarded one before the Air Force split from the Army. The Air Force did not come out with it's own version of this medal until the late 1950's, so this fellow could have received this in the Korean War period too....which given the rest of his rack, looks more likely.

I'll have to take a look at some of the similar USAF ribbon racks I have. I don't recall seeing any Army Commendation Medals on them, but most have an Air Force Commendation Medal. Am wondering if later on for subsequent awards, they replaced the Army ribbon with the Air Force one. It would make sense, but I'll have to do a little research to see if that was actually the case.

unclegrumpy

Tried to find something official to quote regarding the wearing of the Army Commendation Medal by AF personnel, but did not have any luck. Spoke to a friend of mine who is a retired Air Force Colonel that served in this time period, and he told me that the Air Force used the Army Commendation Medal until the AF version came out in 1958. If you were awarded both, then you wore both ribbons. He also said that the Air Force was very stingy with these medals, which would explain why you don't see many on ribbon bars.

oose

Found these on a friends blog no info on them other than that they date from Korea, thought you would like to see.

All the best
stu

a2jacketpatches

Very cool, I like the kit bag and found one like it a few weeks ago, is it KW issue? thought mine may be WW2. I also found a party jacket over the weekend for an F-105E Pilot that I think was made in Vietnam. I just snapped some photos so I'll post it tonight some time.