• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Discussion “A Better Fighting Garment…” - A Beginner’s Guide to the US Navy’s WWII-era and later Intermediate Flight Jackets

Stony

Welcome back, Stony! And thanks again for your contributions to this thread. I think my jaw was hanging open after I saw the pictures of that M-422 Monarch. If you'd like to post the pics of the Cagleco (or have one of us post them), we'd be happy to have it. :)
I've actually had two mint Monarch M-422, one of which ended up in Gary Eastman's collection.

mulceber

CAGLECO SPORTSWEAR CONTRACT NO N383-39321A MIL-J-7823(AER) courtesy of @Stony
D9DCDF01-4207-458B-B25B-C95FDE7FC970.jpeg

8340465C-2AFA-488D-A86F-D6319085E03B.jpeg

B2F5FFEA-E0EE-4D1B-86CD-AE6F431695C1.jpeg

B7AE543C-B9EC-4E71-A84F-8D0342AA3964.jpeg

14BC7129-CAAB-4D9B-93EC-1E42DDDE6605.jpeg

BCC7F11C-CADA-4564-A94A-3D56704715E0_1_201_a.jpeg

BF43FFFC-54D4-4C0E-BB3C-A548BCBCA77F.jpeg

08610FD8-30FF-4212-96E0-F2BF5489ABAB.jpeg

3C833119-5A42-4C87-BF2D-97946D764607.jpeg

C2D4D0CB-946D-415A-935E-04208405B3ED.jpeg

galvestonokie

Thank you Chandler and Entertainment for adding those examples to this thread. The Coastguard question isn’t one we’d come across so it’d be interesting to hear from anyone who might know about their jackets. Certainly seems possible that the USN marking wouldn’t be present and perhaps shows another small twist on a contract perhaps?

You‘re not going to mistake that Breier with that liner either!
in later years, i have seen G-1s, probably 7823Ds, with USCG stamped in the wind flap. while flying in the Marines, our G-1s in late 1960s had "USN" stamped in the wind flap. of course, the USMC is part of the Navy, while USCG is part of the Treasury Dept, except when operating under USN. FYI y'all, the USN trains aviation personnel for the USN, USMC and Coast Guard--including pilots, aircrewman and aviation technicians.

galvestonokie

I've just been offered a Orchard G1 in size 48.....my question is A) is the quality of the goatskin or cowhide better,worse or the same as a Cooper orange label jacket.
B) I know the collar is synthetic but is it itchy like Moulton or sits comfortably against the skin?
C) are the knits wool or a wool/synth mix?
D) is the synth collar and potentially knits a FR synthetic or a "my freaking hands are on fire " sort of synthetic stuff?
(Last one is kinda important since it's going to be used around woodfires and camping)
Having seen/owned a few Orchard 7823D or EAS jackets, it is probably made from cowhide and could be a bit squeaky. I prefer the Cooper jackets. IHMO, the dynel collar doesn't feel as comfy as the mouton (real lamb wool). Don't know/care about the knits. to me, knits are knits--disposable. since they are on a flight jacket, i assume the knits have some degree of fire retardance. in the 1960s, the USN flight suits all became Nomex, which helped a little. But as an aside, the dynel collars are somewhat easily replace with mouton, mink, or whatever.

Last edited:

galvestonokie

sorry to disagree with others, but IMHO this is a 7823 AER, which was produced 1951-1961. i can't see much beyond that from the tag. i was a member of this squadron, VMO-6, during most/all of 1969 and am somewhat familiar with its history. from what i know, and from the the clues provided from the jacket/patches, here is my best guess. VMO-6 was activated during WWII, flying Cessna O-1 Birddogs (or similar) during the Okinawa campaign. My guess is the VMO-6 patch on this jacket is from post-WWII, when a number of Marines were assigned to Tsingtao, China. Later, VMO-6 was moved back to Camp Pendleton, CA, only to be sent to Korea during that conflict. Of some repute, VMO-6 conducted the first? air medevac missions in Korea, flying the Sikorsky HO3S-1. VMO-6 has often been a composite squadron, flying more than 1 type aircraft, which is a bit unusual. In 1969 Vietnam, "Seaworthy", VMO-6's call sign, flew the O-1 Birddog light observation a/c, the UH-1E gunship, and the OV-10A Bronco. My best guess, is that Lt. Morris was with VMO-6 in China after WWII

Last edited:

ZuZu

sorry to disagree with others, but IMHO this is a 7823 AER, which was produced 1951-1961. i can't see much beyond that from the tag. i was a member of this squadron, VMO-6, during most/all of 1969 and am somewhat familiar with its history. from what i know, and from the the clues provided from the jacket/patches, here is my best guess. VMO-6 was activated during WWII, flying Cessna O-1 Birddogs (or similar) during the Okinawa campaign. My guess is the VMO-6 patch on this jacket is from post-WWII, when a number of Marines were assigned to Tsingtao, China. Later, VMO-6 was moved back to Camp Pendleton, CA, only to be sent to Korea during that conflict. Of some repute, VMO-6 conducted the first? air medevac missions in Korea, flying the OY-2. VMO-6 has often been a composite squadron, flying more than 1 type aircraft, which is a bit unusual. In 1969 Vietnam, "Seaworthy", VMO-6's call sign, flew the O-1 Birddog light observation a/c, the UH-1E gunship, and the OV-10A Bronco. My best guess, is that Lt. Morris was with VMO-6 in China after WWII, reissued this AER jacket during Korea and added the art/patches to show his China history. but i'm just guessing...
No- It's a Ralph Edwards 7823'D' probably- almost certainly. Brass paperclip- no biweave waistband. Paintings are probably not native to jacket- USMC on collar definitely not.

johnwayne

Have just re-read thru this thread for the umpteenth time and if I’ve not said it before I should have but this is prob the most absorbing and informative thread ever IMO on VLJ! Whilst I’m really a more of an A2 kinda bloke, G1’s in all its guises are firmly 2nd place in my flight jacket nerdyness! So a big pat on the back to all you responsible compilers and I wish you and all other members a very, hopefully, Happy New Year.

galvestonokie

No- It's a Ralph Edwards 7823'D' probably- almost certainly. Brass paperclip- no biweave waistband. Paintings are probably not native to jacket- USMC on collar definitely not.
Did a bit more research on the painting. VMO-6 was often part of the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, HQ in Japan after WWII. That probably changed during the time they returned to Camp Pendleton after the Korean War (3d Marine Air Wing on West Coast-3dMAW). The sword/6 on the painting most likely refers to the 6th Marine Division, "The 6th Marine Division was a United States Marine Corps World War II infantry division formed in September 1944. During the invasion of Okinawa it saw combat at Yae-Take and Sugar Loaf Hill and was awarded a Presidential Unit Citation. The 6th Division had also prepared for the invasion of Japan before the war ended. After the war it served in Tsingtao, China, where the division was disbanded on April 1, 1946-Wiki." Tsintao is adjacent Korea, across the Yellow Sea. What's confusing is the 6thMarDiv logo near Korea and the 1stMarDiv logo in China. maybe i'm overthinking it.

That helps a bit with the painting, don't know about the jacket's origins/contract. IMHO probably issued later and the painted for the owner to reflect his legacy. There is occasionally some confusion about Korean War era USN\USMC squadrons whose jackets sported a 1st Marine Division patch with a raised middle finger. As in Bridges of Toko-Ri, many of these pilots were WWII veteran/reservists who were less than enthusiastic about combat flying in Korea, often in support of the 1st MarDiv, but were not attached to the 1stMarDiv. The patch was a knock-off of the 1st MarDiv's Guadalcanal patch as seen in the jacket painting:

1673025090293.png

Last edited:

johnwayne

Anyone help?
I’ve gone through this thread several times out of general interest as I own two Cagleco G1’s. However, one contract number does not appear anywhere (or maybe I’ve missed it but don’t think so)! I originally bought this from someone here but so long ago I can’t recall other than he sent it from California!! That aside it’s no is 383-48082A - see pic. I was advised some time back it’s a ‘57 but the number being nothing like my 39321A which I believe is a ‘57 too, does leave me wondering??

Attachments

• B9D088DA-EA3B-4672-A52C-D9D0C0A9D807.jpeg
    B9D088DA-EA3B-4672-A52C-D9D0C0A9D807.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 79

B-Man2

Anyone help?
I’ve gone through this thread several times out of general interest as I own two Cagleco G1’s. However, one contract number does not appear anywhere (or maybe I’ve missed it but don’t think so)! I originally bought this from someone here but so long ago I can’t recall other than he sent it from California!! That aside it’s no is 383-48082A - see pic. I was advised some time back it’s a ‘57 but the number being nothing like my 39321A which I believe is a ‘57 too, does leave me wondering??
To my knowledge Cagleco only had the G-1 government contract for one year 1957. So with that info they would both have to been made during that one year time period .
You can check the manufacturing dates here