• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superb early Anj4 good BIN

Micawber

Well done.
Those marks might burnish out with hand grease.
I read somewhere that someone had put neatsfoot oil on a new Anj4....

I have a friend, one of the finest show harness makers in the country who becomes virtually apoplectic should anyone so much as whisper the word 'Neatsfoot, there will then follow a lecture about leather fibre swelling etc.

'I'll see what the score is with it when the jacket gets here. Some 'treatments' can become sticky in storage and as you know the hide finish can lift especially if it is folded face to face. some of those look like minor scuffs but we will see. Restoring the surface shouldn't prove too problematic, I enjoy doing it :)

Micawber

Well, it arrived yesterday and what a lovely and sturdy jacket it is. A quick try on reveals it may be going to be a bit large for me but I only had a cotton shirt on underneath. I'll try it with a bit more padding underneath and see what it's like then.

Watch this space

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Well, it arrived yesterday and what a lovely and sturdy jacket it is. A quick try on reveals it may be going to be a bit large for me but I only had a cotton shirt on underneath. I'll try it with a bit more padding underneath and see what it's like then.

Watch this space
It will get tighter as your moustache gets more developed!

Micawber

The jacket arrived Friday, I was busy yesterday and this afternoon was the first opportunity for a proper try on and photos. I'm wearing a shirt and Schoffel Polartec fleece underneath with a few things in the pockets too. Lovely shearling on this one, hardly worn or broken in. These older ELC's are wonderful. Too big? The wife seems to think so. I dug out my ELC RW B-3 which at 44 is a size down to compare. No Polartec under that one except the last photo where I swinging through that pigeon with an invisible 12 bore - old habits and all that :D

IMG_20211031_152406_530~2_resize_44.jpg
IMG_20211031_152429_291~2_resize_93.jpg
IMG_20211031_152432_125~2_resize_36.jpg
IMG_20211031_152513_584_resize_41.jpg
IMG_20211031_153955_849~2_resize_88.jpg
IMG_20211031_154019_470~2_resize_48.jpg
IMG_20211031_154017_798~2_resize_95.jpg
IMG_20211031_154011_910~2_resize_46.jpg
IMG_20211031_153444_067_resize_62.jpg

johnwayne

Hey Steve, I must agree with the missus & Shropshire-lad as it does look too big, especially the sleeves, sorry! Ultimately its how you feel wearing it but think personally the sleeve length would bug me plus, surely you’ll roast with jumper under a shearling? Nice jacket nonetheless, damn shame when you look forward to something then it ain’t quite right!!

Micawber

Aye, a tad roomy but interesting to note that the shoulder width means I can actually cross my arms, any less and it might be a bit restrictive. I don't want this to turn into one of those interminable hmmmm-ing and err-ing sizing threads because there is no doubt this ANJ-4 is a tad 'roomy' on me - SWMBO [She Who Must Be Obeyed] says so so it must be true lol! With that in mind it could well be looking for a new home soon.

Micawber

Post measurements so I can compare it my identical size 44, I think dims for a 42 might on a buy sell post of mine somewhere.
Don't use mash size charts for the early jackets.

Measurements given in the auction description are as follows:

Size 46
Pit to pit 65cm
Back 68.5cm
Shoulder 58cm
Sleeve 64cm

With the jacket in front of me and zipped my imperial measurements are:

Pit to pit front 24.5ins
Pit to pit back 25ins
Back from base of collar to bottom of jacket 25ins
Back from top of collar to bottom of jacket 29.5ins
Front 23.5ins
Shoulder seam to seam at top rear 22.5
Sleeve 25.75
Fleece is approx 5/8ths - same depth as my early ELC B-3

I took a punt on this one knowing it was likely to be roomy as I would rather too big than small.

The only size charts I use are those in my noggin as taught to me by an ancient tailor and cutter 45 years ago and through hands on measuring up literally 100's of individuals for a variety of garments.

:)