• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Jon Maguire Flight Jacket Book

CBI

FYI - my latest Schiffer Military History Book Catalog (and http://www.schiffermilitary.com) lists: "Silver Wings and Leather Jackets - Rare, Unique and Unusual Artifacts of First and Second World War Allied Flyers" 800 photos, 272 pages by Jon Maguire. This will be his sixth book on aviation uniforms and insignia.

Release Date: April 2009

You can pre-order on Amazon.com and see what the cover looks like. I just ordered a copy.

A

Anonymous

Or is it just a re-hash of his other books with merely a different compilation of the same material ??

Dave :ugeek:

havocpaul

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/imag ... 54&sr=1-10

Looks to be new stuff if the cover is anything to go by; appears to be in the same format as their books on motorcycle leather jackets: landscape format etc. UK buyers can get from Bushwood Books who post free and are Schiffer's overseas supplier, as these books are printed in the Far East sometimes they arrive here in UK before the USA! On my 'to buy' list.

A

Anonymous

Let's hope you're right Paul. I'll await someone elses review. Hopefully that'll get posted on the 'Books & Films' board :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave :ugeek:

TankBuster

I knew this one was coming out since last fall. I was made to promise not to share any info.
I can say that there will be many more photos of decorated A-2 jackets. It will be the same sort
of book as the others though, with some different material. I'm looking forward to it!

Andrew

TankBuster said:
I knew this one was coming out since last fall. I was made to promise not to share any info.
I can say that there will be many more photos of decorated A-2 jackets. It will be the same sort
of book as the others though, with some different material. I'm looking forward to it!

Any of your jackets making an appearance Jeff?

Stony

A B-10 I owned at the time is in the second MaGuire book on flight jackets and is the "Red Raiders" one with the Viking on the back. I also had two uniforms in "More Silver Wings Pinks and Greens".

Andrew

Stony said:

A B-10 I owned at the time is in the second MaGuire book on flight jackets and is the "Red Raiders" one with the Viking on the back. I also had two uniforms in "More Silver Wings Pinks and Greens".

...and you appear as yourself on JC's CD ;)

bombs away

That will be hard to wait !
It's because of Maguire's books that I started collecting USAAF stuff. I've read "Gear Up !" hundreds of times. I have a seat parachute seen in this book, still don't understand how it has arrived from the book to me.
Does anybody here knows Jon Maguire ? Is he a collector himself ?

Tim.

TankBuster

Leadsky said:
TankBuster said:

Hey Andrew,
No, I hate to say none of mine. Jackets belonging to the usual suspects
will be in this one as well.

Stony

Does anybody here knows Jon Maguire ? Is he a collector himself ?

Yes, I have talked to Jon several times on the phone and have visited his home in Oklahoma City. He not only is a collector of AAF memorabilia, he's a big collector of vintage British helmets from the 1800s.

havocpaul

Not in UK yet, comes from Bushwood Books who are the supplier, worth ordering direct from them rather than Amazon as they get stock direct from the Far East printers.

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
Not in UK yet, comes from Bushwood Books who are the supplier, worth ordering direct from them rather than Amazon as they get stock direct from the Far East printers.

Thanks john. I ordered mine from Waterstones on line as it was cheaper than Amazon at £55.25 including postage. There was no mention that it is not in the UK yet.

Roughwear

You are correct John about the book not being available yet in the UK as I just had the following email sayiing an item request has been placed with the suppliers so that we can fulfil your order.

Roughwear

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Have you got your 'Full Gear' yet andrew ?

Dave

Yes, it came several weeks ago. I found the author a delight to deal with and the book did not incur any import duty, which was a bonus!