• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first A2 (Aero) - can't decide if it's too short or not?

Grrobin

Hey everyone, big fan of the forum. I've been on the hunt for the perfect A2 (within budget!) and recently picked up this beautiful Aero. It's my second attempt buying one as the first one was definitely too short and had to go back. It's a size 42 and 26.25 in the body length, and I don't imagine there's a 42 that gets much more longer than that? I love it to bits but I'm undecided as to whether this one is too short as well, what does everyone think? It's comfortable as hell but don't know if I've just got tunnel vision after having to return one already. (excuse the messy room and small mirror.) cheers!

IMG_20231207_100120.jpg

IMG_20231207_100146.jpg

IMG_20231207_100156.jpg

IMG_20231207_100206.jpg

Grrobin

The jacket is pretty long for an AERO.

Your not really relaxed while taking a photo: one arm lifted, the other hand in your pocket...your shoulders are slightly lifted, taking the jacket with them...

In short: Fit is fine!
Thanks a lot! I read somewhere that the bottom of the cuff should fall an inch under your belt so I think I'm over thinking it.

Lord Flashheart

Looks about right to me. Don't forget as a pilot you'd need it to be comfortable sitting in the cockpit so length is not necessarily an advantage (unless you're going round doing you daily inspection of the aircraft)

Grrobin

Personally this seems fine, it covers your belt which is a general indicator. Your jacket even looks fairly long for an A2. The A2's style is a short jacket, you might want to pair it with more classic high waisted pants.
Appreciate that, cheers! I think for my next pair of jeans I'll look to get something more specifically high waisted. I'm going to try and make sure it doesn't look too costumey though, so it's a fine balance..

Grrobin

Looks about right to me. Don't forget as a pilot you'd need it to be comfortable sitting in the cockpit so length is not necessarily an advantage (unless you're going round doing you daily inspection of the aircraft)
Cheers mate. Who knows, I might use it to check over my Ford Fiesta now and again. Pretty much the same, right?

Lorenzo_l

Looks ok from here as well. Agree with A-2s being short in the waist, for the reasons mentioned above. More important than length is whether the jackets is comfortable to wear. If it is, you are in business. Enjoy.

Pa12

Hey everyone, big fan of the forum. I've been on the hunt for the perfect A2 (within budget!) and recently picked up this beautiful Aero. It's my second attempt buying one as the first one was definitely too short and had to go back. It's a size 42 and 26.25 in the body length, and I don't imagine there's a 42 that gets much more longer than that? I love it to bits but I'm undecided as to whether this one is too short as well, what does everyone think? It's comfortable as hell but don't know if I've just got tunnel vision after having to return one already. (excuse the messy room and small mirror.) cheers!

View attachment 130297
View attachment 130295
View attachment 130293
View attachment 130291
Looks fine. My Platon was shorter.

Jtrob

View attachment 130297
View attachment 130295
View attachment 130293
View attachment 130291
I think it looks ok, but, you need to be very happy with it or you won’t wear it, that’s the bottom line for me. I just sold a jacket out of my closet that was great, but I wound I just did not wear it because I did not LOVE how it felt on me. If you don’t love it, sell and try again…my advice!

CBI

looks good!!!! A-2's like so many flight jackets are simply short. I love them but practically speaking I don't wear them very much because they are short and I usually wear my shirts out, not tucked in. As long as you love it and think you will get a lot of use out of it....good to go!!!

Pa12

Very true. If you’re not “blown away “with your jacket when it arrives, it might start to bug you over time. If it’s new and you can exchange it, I would if you’re not happy with it. Always a pain, but worth it in the long run. As noted, only you know what will make you happy.

B-Man2

You never mentioned how tall you are. If you’re 6’2” or taller you may feel more comfortable in a custom made A2 unless you can find a 42 long someplace. But from your photos it doesn’t look bad on you. As others mentioned high waisted jeans would address your concerns .

Last edited:

Grrobin

You never mentioned how tall you are. If you’re 6’2” or taller you may feel more comfortable in a custom made A2 unless you can find a 42 long someplace. But from your photos it doesn’t look bad on you. As others mentioned high waisted jeans would address your concerns .
Cheers! I'm 6", so just on the cusp.

Grrobin

looks good!!!! A-2's like so many flight jackets are simply short. I love them but practically speaking I don't wear them very much because they are short and I usually wear my shirts out, not tucked in. As long as you love it and think you will get a lot of use out of it....good to go!!!
Thanks a lot! I mostly wear tucked in white tees, or a sweatshirt. I'm loving it but now I have to wait until Xmas to wear it. Can't come soon enough!

foster

Trousers in the 1930's-1940's were definitely worn higher than the modern trend, and the modern mindset is possibly coming into play here. 26.25" body length is longer than many repro A-2 jackets.

Just keep in mind that for a horsehide jacket, the sleeves need to start out being slightly long as they will shorten with use as the creases develop in the elbows.