• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint M444 Navy flight jacket

bazelot

I just bought this jacket and it is in stellar condition. Shearling panels are super soft and not dry. You can still stretch the shearling with no problem. M444 jackets are rare and this one is in a condition that you hardly ever see. If it was my size i would wear it

20231218_122935.jpg
20231218_122400.jpg
20231218_122939.jpg
20231218_123126.jpg
20231218_123630.jpg
20231218_123639.jpg
20231218_123643.jpg
20231218_123652.jpg

Last edited:

Chandler

No way. You never condition Navy shearling. There us a waterproof coating and all the goop stays on the surface and attracts mold. The shearling and leather on that jacket are so soft it coukd have been made yesterday.
What about the pockets and sleeve reinforcements? They're not shearling, right?

Not that they look dry on your example, just wondering in general.

bazelot

What about the pockets and sleeve reinforcements? They're not shearling, right?

Not that they look dry on your example, just wondering in general.
if a jacket survived for 80 years with nothing on it it is generally advised nowadays not to put anything on it. Yes the leather will look better in the short term but the damage in the long term would not be worth the risk. I used to apply peccard every which way i could but not anymore, unless the jacket is a basket case I would stay away from conditioner.

OperationCoffee

if a jacket survived for 80 years with nothing on it it is generally advised nowadays not to put anything on it. Yes the leather will look better in the short term but the damage in the long term would not be worth the risk. I used to apply peccard every which way i could but not anymore, unless the jacket is a basket case I would stay away from conditioner.
I’ve owned this same jacket in the same condition and actually used Peccards. A very light amount. The jacket soaked it up just fine. It was shinier for a while of course but no harm done. I’ve also owned Navy shearling trousers that looked and acted robust which I did not condition but then they crumbled within a few years

I agree with the if it isn’t broke then don’t try to fix it school with A 2’s etc. generally but not with shearling. I apple Peccards to my repro Irvin’s once a year. I don’t take chances .

Of course, I’m assuming this jacket is going to be worn by someone If it’s just going on display or in storage then maybe no treatment is needed.

Last edited:

Chandler

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking of the cosmetic side as much as preservation -- and a little goes a long way, for sure!