• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost weight...pet GW is a bit big now

I may be in the market for a new jacket. I don't really have a collection of jackets. I usually keep a good A-2 and then have miscellaneous other coats and jackets on hand like a vintage Navy pea coat, M-65, etc.

For the past two years my fave Good Wear Monarch has gotten a little wear -- but not enough. Part of that was the past year I have lost nearly forty pounds due to exercise and diet changes. I went from about 220lbs to 185. I sold a really nice 46 GW Dubow that had gotten a bit snug to source this GW Monarch 48. ;) Now, the worm has turned and I am pretty much swimming in the Monarch. Here's a photo of me wearing it and a photo with it gathered up in back to show how muy big it is on me now. When I got the jacket some said it was a perfect example of fit, and now...I fear not so much.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I have honestly thought of doing something different like a Wested Skyfall jacket or an ANJ-3 or something. I love the A-2 but I am jonesing for something different. I may keep the GW as I don't really like a painted-on WWII fit anyway...but it IS big on me. I love the jacket. Hate to give it up and it isn't even broken in.

Thoughts from the collective are solicited. :D

unclegrumpy

I think I would try getting it wet and wearing it until it drys. I am not suggesting a hot water treatment, just a good soaking while wearing it in the shower, and then a long slow dry on your body. It will shrink a little, but mostly it will shape to you. After that, it still might be too big, but my hunch is you will think it fits better.

Silver Surfer

looks fine. dont monkey around with it cause when ya do, its done and theres no making it back to the original sizing. whats more, when ya shrink a jac, it never shrinks proportionately. better a little looser then to tight.

unclegrumpy

I was not talking about attempting a HWT to shrink the jacket, just getting it wet and helping it break in and shape. I have showered in several of my GWs...one that was a bit too tight to get it to stretch in the arm holes and back...I wore a heavy sweatshirt underneath that one while it slowly dried all day. Another one fit exactly like this Monarch....like a big starched shirt...but getting it wet and wearing it gave it a better shape and fit.

My feeling is unless you are never going to wear a jacket in the rain, you are probably better off getting it wet and letting it dry slowly under controlled conditions. The leather is eventually going to do what it is going to do anyway....this just helps it along.

Thanks, Bill. I am tempted. :D

Appreciate the input, guys. I just tried on the jacket again and it really looks like a modern fit, I guess. Not crazy big, just not the proverbial perfect "WWII fit" nor the currently-in-style fitted look. I was also reminded it still has the stiff "new jacket" feel so maybe getting it wet (if I decide absolutely to keep it) might not be a bad idea.

Of course with our weather here in Carolina, it will probably be months before it gets worn again outside the house.

Tim P

That ww2 fit dogma is the biggest bunch of horse crap spouted on here, for all the fantastic knowledge that there is...... :roll:
and that jacket looks just fine on you.

if you want to say 30's european cyclist fit, I wont argue with you....promise....

Dr H

Clyde
Personally, the second image (with a handful of leather grabbed) looks unnaturally tapered in my view.
The original shot looks perfectly fine for most occasions.
If the Dubow 46 felt better for you then it sounds like a good swop (quality for quality), perhaps with a cash top up if the Dubow is older/more worn condition?

flyboy

Can not see anything wrong with the fit in the first picture. While the fit in the second picture is all wrong. No A2 looks like that. A fashion brand maybe. But not an A2. They were made to fit most people within a certain size. And that's how they fitted the young guys back then. Some were unlucky and got a very tight one - others got a jacket, which looked - and felt - a bit to loose. But hey. There was a war on. Who cared?

Tim P

flyboy said:
Can not see anything wrong with the fit in the first picture. While the fit in the second picture is all wrong. No A2 looks like that. A fashion brand maybe. But not an A2. They were made to fit most people within a certain size. And that's how they fitted the young guys back then. Some were unlucky and got a very tight one - others got a jacket, which looked - and felt - a bit to loose. But hey. There was a war on. Who cared?

what he said

unclegrumpy

Clyde from Carolina said:
I was also reminded it still has the stiff "new jacket" feel so maybe getting it wet (if I decide absolutely to keep it) might not be a bad idea.
I don't think getting it wet and seeing if you like it better means you have to keep it. I also don't think it will hurt the resale price. A HWT and throwing it in the dryer would, but we are not talking about that.....just a man made very heavy rain storm and wearing it as it slowly drys.

One reason we see a lot of reasonably new jackets being passed along is they do change with break in and wear. My experience with several GWs is that they generally get a wee bit smaller, especially in the sleeves as they crinkle up.

Part of this is also a style issue. I like a broken in jacket, rather than the new off the rack look.

dmar836

Just the dryer part really helped the ELC Star I have. I did wash it because it stunk(wouldn't sell it with body odor and don't love it anyway so had nothing to lose) but when almost dry I added neatsfoot oil. When dry, I tumbled it for a few hours here and there zipped up. That has done more to soften the inferior HH they used than any other trick I have tried.
Dave

Andrew

Clyde congratulations on the weight loss, that effort deserves a medal and don't worry about what those jealous fatties are telling you :cool: , you deserve to flaunt your new hard won shape.

Ok so the second pic isn't an exact representation of what you want but I understand you probably just don't appreciate a baggy mid section. I'd back Grumps advice, I'm still wearing my GW Dubow from 08 and it's totally adjusted to my shape over years of wetting and wearing and has become fractionally smaller in the process.

Tim P

That baggy mid section is well in evidence in ww2 pics and tge wearers seem unconcerned.

Its not a piece of tailoring its an outer garment. A military outer garment. More to the point, the photo does not look bad, it looks good. There are other types of jacket that are suited to flaunt trimness ( and when I feel able to do that I like to).

Just enjoy the quality safe in the knowledge that it looks fine. And btw, the only time this mythical ww2 fit would even have a place would be at a living history display in a flight suit.... ;)

Rutger

I agree that A2 shouldn't fit tight.You want to be able to reach each knob and lever all around in the cockpit and preferably also the steering handles of your chute every now and then when the occasion arises, and a tight fitting jacket ain't gonna help with that.
Maybe the measuring sticky should include a handful of representative wartime pics to clarify the "must have" fit.

Have you asked JC for advice?

Jeff M

I think the jacket looks best on you in the first photo.
A "tapered" A2 just doesn't look real to me.
Those fellows were wearing them into combat....I suspect they wanted a bit of room to move around in them!
One good thing about A2's....the fit back then was all over the board. "Authentic fit" is what you want it to be. :lol:

flyboy

Clyde - the best advice is to take a shower wearing the jacket and let it dry on you. That way it breaks in to your body and shrinks just a bit.
Not much but enough for you to feel a difference.
Good luck!