• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horsehide VS. goatskin??

Lord Flashheart

I think that "air space" is the only reason my Navy jackets feel warmer in autumn and spring than my A-2. That bi-swing back and liner do create a decent pocket for body heat to collect and keep the external surface of the jacket away from direct contact with my torso. For similar reasons I find an A-2 a bit cooler and more comfortable on a warm day. Both are wind proof and the leather itself isn't the critical thing in my experience.

Jason22

Thanks for the response, this helps a lot =) I do have a HH A2 from 5Star which is my first leather jacket ever and I fell in love with this look so I considered getting a second one :D Any recommendations for a GS A2? How are the 5Star and AVI GS? (if that's too off-topic I'm more than happy to post a new thread)
I should mention that I'm not ready for a 1500$ Eastman repro yet :D :D

B-Man2

If your finances don’t permit you to purchase a GW which would be my recommendation and a 5 Star goatskin would be your choice then I’d consider this model . A DuBow in their special Russett Brown Goatskin photos and info direct from their catalogue .
IMG_3138.jpeg

B-Man2

Yeah this particular model already caught my eye ^^ I gonna ask Shawn for a dark seal though
I would be careful when ordering “Dark Seal”
It’s very dark … close to black . See goat samples from his catalogue below .
IMG_3139.png

flyincowboy

just seen on fb
FiveStar Leather Factory office will remain Closed from 09-04-2024 to 13-04-2024 because of our National Holidays, any pending orders will be shipped from 15-04-2024

ButteMT61

Having owned a lot, but nearly as many as some here, I'd say that if the goat/horse are the same thickness, and the jacket is the same (insulation/cut, etc) then not much diff.
However, I have a 1950's style Aero FQHH and a Lost World's jacket both of which have seriously heavy (thick) horsehide and they are indeed the warmest jackets I have made of leather.
On the other end is my Good Wear Ventura, made of Shinki Horse. It's light enough that I have worn it at many concerts in hot, sweaty places. I'd never wear my Aero or LW in the same spots.

B-Man2

Burt did you ordered a size 46or 48 in seal brown goatskin ? Look mid-brown to me Nice leather by the way.
Ordered a size 48 with a little tweaking in the measurements
I thought I had ordered their special DuBow russet brown veg tanned goat and this is what I received . Was hoping to get something more Russett and less dark .
I really like JCs and GWs Russett goat but at 76 having to Que up for two years really isn’t an option for me . .

flyincowboy

Look like another good looking jacket with awesome leather. The dull purple knit with the goatskin hide is splendid.

B-Man2

Look like another good looking jacket with awesome leather. The dull purple knit with the goatskin hide is splendid.
Thanks … Shawn uses a pretty robust goat hide that is fairly thick … it would certainly give a lost worlds horsehide A2 a run for the money .
That’s not meant to be negative . It’s a jacket that will last a lifetime for sure .

B-Man2

The DUBOW 27798 in goatskin is certainly one of their best A2 Jacket.
Agree totally .. I got this one just a little bit larger than normal so I can layer under it.
When traveling to colder areas I was taking two jackets with me . An A2 and an Irvin. Now with this new addition I’ll only take an A2 and a thick jumper ( Sweater )