• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goat or Horse?

rich

It's not an A2, but steer can wear nicely too.........

ELCLW1.jpg

ELCLW2.jpg

ELCLW3.jpg

ELCLW4.jpg

Andrew

rich said:
It's not an A2, but steer can wear nicely too.........

ELCLW1.jpg

Is that your ELC Rich? Looks amazing. I had no idea thay went that way. How many years does it take to achieve that look? Something to look forward to I guess.

better duck

I vote for HH, as generally it ages more beautifully then GS. The GS of the jackets I have seems bullitproof and lasts forever, or so it seems, and it looks more or less unworn, except for the creasing on the sleeves.
A prime example of how HH can age is my ELC Werber, which looks fantastic after a year and a half of non continuous wear. My GW GS Dubow looks new, even after wearing it for some months almost continuously. But then again I have an ELC Roughwear 1401 in HH that doesn't get any character, no matter how hard I wear it. Even the sleeves don't crease, it seems to be made of some sort of rubber (and I'm not into that)

CBI

depends on the quality of hide. A great goatskin be better than a crummy horse. If you post on this site, you will want/get or already have both. The new Goodwear horse from Japan is the most authentic 40's horse out there and is really in its own class. GW goat is extremely convincing as well.

rich

[/quote]

Is that your ELC Rich? Looks amazing. I had no idea thay went that way. How many years does it take to achieve that look? Something to look forward to I guess.[/quote]

It's not good news Andrew - here's yours truly wearing the jacket when it was new - the babe in arms, being carried by my brother-in-law, is now 17 and 6'2"! I haven't worn it much in recent years though, I fell under the spell of the A2........

ppp183.jpg

Roughwear

It's all a matter of personal choice. I have original A2s and repros in horse and goat. I like the the beautifully aged GS found on Spiewak, Perry and Doniger jackets for example, but goat is prone to rot and can darken round the inside of the collar and under the armpits. I also like vintage hh. There is a tremendous variation in wartime hh and even from the same contract there are variations depending on the source of the leather. Horse hide ages more quickly than goat and as has been said earlier displays much character relatively quickly. So for me I like them both and do not have a preference. :)