• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goat or Horse?

Andrew

I've never had a goat A-2 although I do like the look of John's stuff and the new ELC hide. I just prefer the character and toughness of HH and the fact it ages relatively quickly. I never wear an A-2 to be dressy with a collared shirt, for me the more beaten up the better. I find the marbling effect with smooth versus rough very appealing and the way the raised parts burnish. I'm sure this also happens with goat to some extent so I may try one someday but if there was a choice i'd definitely take the Horse. Plus it's a bigger critter :D

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

A

Anonymous

To even things up I'd better chuck my hat onto the goat .

I know what you're saying Andrew about horse. And if you are lucky enough to get the right bit of hide (and that in itself is a bit of a lottery) then it ages well and looks great. You example above certainly does. But I've had 7 repros in horse and none have had quite the grain or look I would be happy with. Isn't that one of the main reasons a lot of people pass jackets around? Each looking for their particular, subjective look to the hide ?

But goat always has consistant grain and looks worn in very quickly without actually looking scruffy. It's also a far tougher hide.

Dave

A

Anonymous

:D :D :D

And there was I thinking that NZ, like Wales, was full of sheep 'lovers' :eek: :lol:

DAve

Chandler

I have jackets in Horse, Goat, & Steer. I alternate because I like the look and feel of them all, why limit?

What's next, you going to ask me to choose one beer style to stick with the rest of my life? :D

Chandler

A

Anonymous

I like your logic Chandler but I think here it's a lightweight question of a favourite rather than something to the exclusion of all others.

I have several favourite beers in different parts of the country like I have cloth, nylon and leather jackets. But Abbott Ale is my favourite like goat is my favourite jacket hide. Doesn't stop me straying though ! :D

J_H

Chandler

JACKET_ HEAD said:
But Abbott Ale is my favourite like goat is my favourite jacket hide. Doesn't stop me straying though !

I honestly can't say I have a favorite (in either subject), I've embraced the variety that has been made available to me and I follow my mood for the day.

Just when I think I'm really digging my ELC Star in Steerhide, I pull out the G&B Goatskin and say, yeah -- this is very nice. Then I see the 1401 in Horse and re-think again... and it all goes around.

Chandler

(Munich Dunkel last night, maybe a nice Bitter tonight -- or maybe a different brand of Dunkel, hmm... decisions, decisions.) :)

A

Anonymous

Chandler,
The idea of a steer Star sounds intriguing.

Don't suppose you have the time or inclination to post a few photos in teh 'Review' section please ? Having had a Sefton steer many, many years ago and seeing how a mates one has aged, I'd like to see the ELC steer for a comparison. My preference as such is goat and steer but it's all a lottery unless you handle and see the jacket you are hoping to buy.

Dave

Chandler

Actually, it's right here (and there are separate threads for my Goat and Horse jackets too):
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=760

Thought it has gotten some more wear since these pics were taken, I may have to update a little -- more grain is developing.

Chandler

bfrench

Administrator
Chandler said:
Actually, it's right here (and there are separate threads for my Goat and Horse jackets too):
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=760

Thought it has gotten some more wear since these pics were taken, I may have to update a little -- more grain is developing.

Chandler

Hi, Hawkeye,

Here's another Review for the G&B goat A-2.

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=65

The differences I find between goat and horse is that the goat seems to be lighter and thinner than the horsehide so you don't get as warm when the temps rise - you can wear the goat a little longer into the war season.

On the cold side I actually found the goat to be warmer than the goatskin - but once the temps drop to -5ºC - you need layers with both.

And - supposedly - goatskin is stronger than horsehide - read it somewhere but can't find it now.

Bill French

rikitiki

Goatskin for comfort; horsehide for looks.. so my favorite depends on the circumstances.
My A-2 goatskins break-in fast and are much, much softer then my horsehide, but the small pebbly grain doesn't look good on the A-2.
Horsehide is much stiffer but the subdued grain and shine looks nicer, so I'd wear it to the mall or airshows.

Peter Graham

I think A-2's look sharp in either but there is much more colour and grain variation in horse which affects the look of the jacket. Can't imagine a Navy jacket in horse though...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
tcwu said:
Peter Graham said:
Can't imagine a Navy jacket in horse though...

AN-J-3A  :lol: :lol: :lol:
:? :?:

The Few made a horseshide AN-J-3A for Bevan, currently owned by another forum member. They now offer it (AN6552) as part of their range, and it's one of the best sellers.

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http% ... l=ja&tl=en

Bevan replaced it with a horsehide 55J14 .... a wonderful jacket, we should encourage him to post the photos. ;)

A Munich dunkel, eh? I got absolutely destroyed one night in Munich hopping from one beer hall to another, and the final culprit was dunkel. Ah, that's a good memory. :D

As for favorite hide, I really like horse hide, but often prefer a good goatskin for the usual reasons: consistent appearance and durability. I understand where Andrew is coming from, and I love the character of a good piece of HH.

Honestly don't think I have a favorite to be honest.

Chandler

bfrench said:
On the cold side I actually found the goat to be warmer than the goatskin -

Um. What? :?:

My own experience is that I can't find a difference in one hide being warmer (or cooler) than another. And just as horse starts to show some variation in color (sometimes), I've seen the same on goatskin and steer too -- all depends on the finish.

Chandler