• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct fit photos

Dr H

ButteMT61 said:
Dad%20-%20A-2%20With%20Friends.jpg

...er...Dave (dMar836), have you been lying about your age, or is Scott more proficient with Photoshop than he's letting on? Front row, rhs - he even has your cap and gloves :eek:

Rutger

Those are great pictures, they were having a fun time, weren't they?
I wonder what animal is that anyway? Is it a good meal?

dmar836

Wasn't me! Yeah, I need to get back on that glove project. Those officer gloves are quite nice.
Still curious about those double name strips. First time I've seen that.
Dave

A

Anonymous

Rutger said:
sparidon said:
Do you guys really think these airmen sat around bitching because "my sleeves tunnel, the collar is too big, I just don't like the fit of this jacket"??? Please.

None of the posters said or implied such. Give them a break. Please.
If they were that affected by fit as we are today, they might have been considered to, :? :? :? :? can't think of a politically correct term.

A

Anonymous

dmar836 said:
Wasn't me! Yeah, I need to get back on that glove project. Those officer gloves are quite nice.
Still curious about those double name strips. First time I've seen that.
Dave
Maybe rank, or squadron.

Dr H

chitchat said:
Rutger said:
sparidon said:
Do you guys really think these airmen sat around bitching because "my sleeves tunnel, the collar is too big, I just don't like the fit of this jacket"??? Please.

None of the posters said or implied such. Give them a break. Please.
If they were that affected by fit as we are today, they might have been considered to, :? :? :? :? can't think of a politically correct term.

...er...picky?... :D

herk115

dmar836 said:
Larry,
Did your father have two name tags?
Great pics,
Dave

Dave,

In some pics, both in CONUS and overseas, he has two name tags. In other pics, both CONUS and overseas, he has one. He never told me why, and I never knew enough to ask. However, many years ago I was able to enlarge one negative enough to identify the other name tag. The lower one read "SQDN S-4". Only once, in all my perusing of A-2 photos, have I seen anything similar. I can't remember who or where it was, but there was at least one other guy who had, below is name strip, another tage reading "SQDN [Whatever]".
I've always been a bit baffled by these pictures. My father spent 31 years in the USAF, but was never aircrew. He was a rear-echelon typewriter commando. He never hid his disdain for aircrew. He once had the nerve to tell me, while I was in a combat aircrew assignment, "I know more about the air force than any throttle jockey." Yet despite his animosity for those who wore wings, he never had any problem strutting around in flight suits and A-2s.
The picture you see of the shotgun fest was pretty much standard training for folks headed overseas. It was felt that skeet shooting was good training, and I suppose it was, as it got some of those city boys used to guns. It's the same reason we were trained in the 80's to shoot M-16s: if your base is being overrun and there are a bunch of perfectly good weapons laying around, you ought to be able to use them. It was a lesson learned the hard way in Vietnam.
I am reminded, though, of Joseph Heller's description of the skeet-shooting program in Catch-22: "Skeet shooting was excellent training. It trained them to shoot skeet." And, yes, "clay pidgeon" was the bird they had for dinner that night!

Cheers,

Larry

Rocky

The Doolittle photo's, the second photo, the guy in the front row on the left was the pilot of the second B25 to leave the carrier. His name is Travis Hoover. I knew him and visited his home a few times.
He lived in Joplin MO and was a neighbor of my sister-in-law. That's how I got to know him.
I had the privilege to visit with him about what was arguable the most know bombing mission of WWII. Also got him to autograph the bill of a crusher hat that I still have.
He's no longer with us as he passed away a few years ago.
What a walking piece of history he was.

ButteMT61

Did they scale pockets to jacket size or did they just slap the same ones on all jackets? If the latter, then a small jacket would look that way. Just wondering.

Dr H

This is a 'David would have known' moment. I recall that this was discussed and the concencus was that size of pocket remained the same irrespective of tag size.

Roughwear

A2 pockets from the same contract were not sized up or down depending on the tagged size of the jacket. There was variation in pocket size from the same maker. For example the pockets on the first Cable contract were smaller than those on the no name 27753 Cable contract. However the pockets on A2s from the first RW contract are significantly larger than those used on later contracts even though the jackets are tagged the same size.

lightning38

I agree too.
Granted, in WW II, I'm sure some Enlisted and Officers would go to the PX and buy better fitting military shirts and pants then ones that were issued or had to buy, in the case of officers and I think even my dad who was an AAF crew chief did it but I really doubt they'd be that particular about their flight jacket unless they lost or gained alot of weight or were a vain movie star in the military that had to look the part for the cameras.

sparidon said:
Agreed whole heartedly. Do you guys really think these airmen sat around bitching because "my sleeves tunnel, the collar is too big, I just don't like the fit of this jacket"??? Please. They were thrilled with the fact that they received a jacket at all. That A-2 was a symbol of their accomplishment as a pilot/gunner/bombardier/what have you. That's all they looked at them as.

Seth