• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct fit photos

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I am looking for photos of WWII crews with A-2 jackets to see the correct fit and especially the length of the sleeve.

Anyone has any photos handy?
Where should I look?

Thanks for the help.

Phantomfixer

The book "Ready for Duty" is a great resource for crew photos. I think "correct fit" is relative. Some guys like their cuffs fully extended with a taper to the sleeve. Me? I like the cuff to be "tunneled" about half the length of the cuff, when the arms are in the down and locked position, with only a slight taper to the sleeve.
I am looking forward to your seal with berry combo, with the grain HH.
John

bfrench

Administrator
Have a look at the shoulders of the last guy to our right as you look at the photo.
Original_A2_Jackets.jpg

Here's a blow up of the same airman
A-2Fit.jpg

Sure looks like a blouse type set for the arms as they are sen to the jacket.

Kennyz

Looking at the pics, the WW2 "fit" seems to be all across the board...including loose fitting jackets, and sleeve tunneling. As has been said before, these gentleman wore whatever size they were issued!

Dr H

Well...even Jeff would have found it hard to love some of those collars... :shock:

johnwayne

Yea. gotta say some of those collars look a bit on the big side don't they? The guy who's pic has been enlarged and the one second from left back row in particular - the front row seem all OK except the one with his eyes shut at the crucial moment - they must have all came from the same batch!

When it comes to fit I guess there really is no such thing as perfect as we all like a different fit but makers styles aside, IMO the shoulder seams should sit high, actually on the shoulder bone not droop. I've an early ELC 42 'house' A2 that generally fits really well but compared to my GW Doniger it doesnt compare - JC reckoned the epualet length of my ELC was more in keeping with a 48"!! More or less all those in the pics do sit nicely on the shoulders.

Ive always thought too that if you could wear anything much other than shirt underneath then it's poss too big in the body but as to body length then surely the 'waist' knit should sit just above your hips ie on your waist.

Well, thats my take on the 'cool' way an A2 should be worn, for whats its worth!!!
cheers
Wayne

ButteMT61

dmar836 said:
What is with those sleeves?

It's called "Gov'ment issued, take what we give yer ass" jackets. The point some of us made in the "authentic" repro thread a while back. We have it good today getting custom jackets made. And we pick nits over little details that they never thought of.

sparidon

Agreed whole heartedly. Do you guys really think these airmen sat around bitching because "my sleeves tunnel, the collar is too big, I just don't like the fit of this jacket"??? Please. They were thrilled with the fact that they received a jacket at all. That A-2 was a symbol of their accomplishment as a pilot/gunner/bombardier/what have you. That's all they looked at them as.

Seth

herk115

Here is my father, then Second Lieutenant Len Turoski, and the other staff members of the 49th BS, 2nd BG, Lewistown AB, Montana, December 1942 or January 1943. You guys tell me who made those jackets. My father is back row, right. The bottom three pictures were taken in the fall or early winter of 1942 on or near Gowen Field, Boise, Idaho. Take a look. And if anyone can help me get these posted directly to this forum, I'd appreciate it. You guys keep showing me, but I just can't make it work.

http://www.jetgouge.com/A-2%20Jackets%202.html

ButteMT61

Holy hell, I've got family from Lewistown, MT!
Great pic too. My dad was in between wars in the USAF, stationed in Bicester, England.

Dad%20-%20A-2%20With%20Friends.jpg

Dad%20in%20A-2%20%202.jpg

Dad%20in%20A-2%20%204%20Cropped.jpg

Dad%20in%20A-2%20%203.jpg

herk115

ButteMT61 said:
Holy hell, I've got family from Lewistown, MT!
Great pic too. My dad was in between wars in the USAF, stationed in Bicester, England.

Small war, I guess. And thanks for posting the pics for me.

Cheers,

Larry

Rutger

sparidon said:
Do you guys really think these airmen sat around bitching because "my sleeves tunnel, the collar is too big, I just don't like the fit of this jacket"??? Please.

None of the posters said or implied such. Give them a break. Please.