• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and Everything A-1

bseal

True that.

Aero_A-1_buttons.jpg

Simon Debrux

That's a great looking jacket, very similar to my capeskin Eastman in colour and cut, apart from the lining. The leather looks quite different to the A-1 on the Good Wear website. Was the choice of a heavier skin deliberate or a case of using what you could get? Thanks for sharing the pics. S

bseal

Thanks. It's an Aero, so you get their capeskin. Goodwear's capeskin is a bit thinner, probably 2 oz. What was the weight on your ELC?

sgbailey2002

bseal said:
Thanks. It's an Aero, so you get their capeskin. Goodwear's capeskin is a bit thinner, probably 2 oz. What was the weight on your ELC?

Great looking jacket, the cape is nice, and good weight too.

SGB

Simon Debrux

bseal said:

I've no idea what the weight of the leather is but the whole jacket is 2lb 5oz according to my kitchen scales, and seems pretty light compared to the Lost Worlds' A-1 I previously owned. I thought you were getting a Good Wear or is that still in the pipeline?

L1020664-1.jpg

Chandler

airfrogusmc said:
bseal said:
airfrogusmc said:
Aero makes a real first class A-1...

I loved mine.

If you get a chance, would you mind reposting some images of it?

Allen, not trolling for trouble in any way, but I also noticed with Bseal's A-1 -- the hide is very reminiscent of my ELC Star (steerhide). Did you part with the A-1 because it was light on grain? Just as BS' it's nice looking to these eyes.

Chandler

airfrogusmc

Its hard to describe cape. It has a different hand kinda similar to sheepskin without the wool. No, grain had nothing to do with it. I needed the $$$ to finance the GW Dubow.

Chandler

airfrogusmc said:
Its hard to describe cape. It has a different hand kinda similar to sheepskin without the wool.

Kind of that soft, almost velvety feel that the outer shell of a B-3 has (when not old and crusty, of course)? That's sort of how my Star feels.

Chandler

bseal

A one of a kind Goodwear A-1 is still in the pipeline. I had some unused credit with Aero,
so I couldn't resist.

Falcon_52

Simon Debrux said:
I've no idea what the weight of the leather is but the whole jacket is 2lb 5oz according to my kitchen scales, and seems pretty light compared to the Lost Worlds' A-1 I previously owned. I thought you were getting a Good Wear or is that still in the pipeline?

L1020664-1.jpg

I can't believe how much wrinkling is on the sleeves of this jacket. It looks absolutely fantastic!!! My capeskin A-1, which I have had for 10 years, doesn't look anywhere near this. Maybe it comes down to the tanning method. Mine is chrome tanned whereas Eastman's is vegetable tanned (I think). It sure is a beautiful jacket, sir.

Noel

Chandler

Falcon_52 said:
My capeskin A-1, which I have had for 10 years, doesn't look anywhere near this.

Where did you get a capeskin A-1 10 years ago?

It could definitely come down to tanning in the aging and character of a jacket, but finish is a big factor too. Chrome tanned, drum-dyed jackets never seem to build any sort of character (IMO).

Chandler

Falcon_52

My A-1 is a Willis & Geiger reproduction that I bought new in 1998. It was my first flight jacket and the one that got me hooked. :D I'm still trying to find the documentation that came with it but I'm pretty sure it is chrome tanned. It has some great grain but the sleeves just don't look like that Eastman.

Noel

Chandler

Falcon_52 said:
My A-1 is a Willis & Geiger reproduction that I bought new in 1998.

I didn't realize the W&Gs were actually capeskin -- been a heckuva long time since I've seen an old catalog. I have a W&G cloth navy jacket (bedford cord, but I can't recall the spec number), sort of a cloth A-1. Unfortunately it was a good price, but a bad size -- just a bit too large.

Before I ask to see pics, I'll go back thru the thread to see if you've already posted.

Chandler

airfrogusmc

Yeah those W&G A-1s were pretty nice. Wild Bill has one.

I had one of those cloth W&Gs also. Cool font for the USN over the pocket.