• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero leathers pike brothers B15 vs Eastman B15

Grant

The alpaca Eastman uses in their B15 and B-10 is some of the best I've seen used in a reproduction jacket making both very warm. I've posted this before but here's my old Eastman Rough Wear B-15. Also, the shell material is almost identical to my original Arnoff B-15. Sorry about the crazy hair!

b15.jpg
B15B.jpg

917_k

Depending on your patience and your size, you could probably find a wearable original for around the same price as a used Eastman or Buzz. Worth keeping that in mind as well. And an original will appreciate in value whereas a repro will only decline.

I was of that view a few years ago, but after wearing a couple of my original B-15s I’ve found the mouton collars become increasingly unstable with moisture and sweat. Unless you’re not fussed about the possibility of the collar eventually going (thus diminishing its value considerably), I’d actually suggest the repro as the way to go now. These jackets are getting older and harder to find in good condition.

mulceber

One other factor to consider when choosing between B-10/B-15(A) repros that might not matter to a lot of people is the throat latch. On my original B-15A, it's very easy to close the throat latch and button it up. Same thing with my Buzz B-15. In fact, it's maybe even a bit easier to close than an original. But on Natalie's Eastman B-17, for some reason, the throat latch and buttons are positioned such that you REALLY need to struggle to get it to close. It's basically non-functional. For most people that might not matter, but as someone living in the northern midwest, I actually turn the collar up quite a bit, so the throat latch is very useful!

Otherwise, in terms of materials, they're very much equals - Eastman's a bit better on the knits, Buzz is a bit better on the quality of the mouton, and imho they're about equal in terms of the alpaca pile and the shell.

Grant

Sorry to disagree, but the alpaca Buzz uses is thinner and not as warm as what Eastman uses, nor is it accurate to the originals.

mulceber

Fair. I've worn a BR B-15A for about 45 minutes outside when the temperature was in the negatives Fahrenheit and didn't have any trouble, so I'm satisfied with Buzz's alpaca.:cool:

atlasfields

Buzz is off my list due to their sizing (too small). May buy the Bronson to scratch the immediate itch for one. While prowling eBay for ELC version.

mulceber

Buzz is off my list due to their sizing (too small). May buy the Bronson to scratch the immediate itch for one. While prowling eBay for ELC version.
If you’re going to wait for a used Eastman, why not just get in line for a GW? Probably just a little more expensive than a used Eastman, and no compromises.

Griffon_301

very happy with both of my ELC B-15s.
they are great jackets for what they are worth but for really cold weather I still prefer the Irvin's :D