• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso Plays Baseball...

kiltie

Aaaannnd another little pic post for the day...

I can't begin to imagine what I'd do with all the jackets some of you guys have, because just splitting the time between two Good Wears and this Kelso is a mini nightmare. Luckily it's consistently chilly enough now, that the goatskin Bronco is shelved 'til spring. The Good Wear Rough Wear accommodates a heavier shirt much better, so it gets the lion's share of the wearing. However, for some sustained physical activity, the Bill Kelso was just what the doctor ordered last weekend.
Playing baseball was the perfect way to run this jacket through it's paces and really get it on the road to breaking in. Without further ado, here is the Bill Kelso Dubow 27798 after some practical action -

I did have to bring myself out of the shadows in this pic a bit, so please forgive the obvious modification:
IMG_8864.jpg

IMG_8866.jpg

IMG_8869.jpg

IMG_8868.jpg

Finally - I've come to really like the look of this sleeve. It's always had this weird grain, but it was much...chunkier out of the box. Now it's settled down some and developed complimentary grain throughout.

IMG_8867.jpg

Even though I sized up on this one, the cut is still such that only a single, light layer can be worn under it. I know there's a big thread covering that ( sizing ), but I noticed that the cut of each individual contract hasn't really been addressed at length. PLATON is right, in that in the torso and chest, these jackets in a 48 consistently fit correctly, and that is my usual OTR jacket. The shoulders and armtops tend to be a different matter, though.
As it is, this BK Dubow is a great jacket for actually doing stuff. Little danger of a baggy sleeve or torso snagging in a piece of machinery or slowing you down while short-hopping a grounder.

Skip

thanks for the review, good to get an idea of how these jackets feel and look after some wear.

kiltie

Correction to my original post. I meant to type that my OTR jacket is a 46, NOT a 48. This Kelso, however, is a 48.

johnwayne

Why is a Lone Star state kinda guy wearing a Boston 'away' shirt is the question! Hometown maybe?
Never worn my 'home' shirt under an A2 must admit - Go Sox (well next season maybe)
Nice jacket by the way!!
cheers
Wayne
PS Im from good old London town in the UK so have no reason to be and RSox fan and in no postion to question your choce really just curious you might say!!!

kiltie

johnwayne said:
Why is a Lone Star state kinda guy wearing a Boston 'away' shirt is the question!

This -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_World_Series

Even at 14, I found the Mets, both as individuals and a team, to be the most loathsome collection of thugs and reprobates ever assembled under one ball cap. I became a default Red Sox fan. Couple that with, for whatever reason, Carlton Fisk was my favorite all time player, but I could never get behind the ChiSox.
Naturally I'd like to see the Rangers dominate, but to be honest, I haven't really followed professional baseball since Cal Ripken retired; not the same game. No team mates, just guys who play together. The marketing, the personalities... A whole 'nuther forums worth of complaints. The last of the truly immortal names went out in the 80s and the kids held up the mantle for about the first half of the 90s, but it all just came apart for me after that.
When a 10 year old can's afford a pack of cards or a team cap by turning in bottles and cans, it's time for adults to look at what a mess it's all become.
Still love the idea of baseball and playing, though.

prostaff4ever said:
Beautiful!!

Posted while responding - thanks very much, and thanks to the BK folks!

Marv

Very, very nice....BK seem to be getting better and better, well done to them. :)

Robman

Beautiful Dubow, excellent fit/look. BKs jackets are excellently done for sure.

I am a lifelong Mets fan, ouch.

Robman

For whatever its worth, I have always found the Dubow pattern comfortable due to the wider sleeves. I find some of the others with wider shoulders to be less comfortable/natural.

kiltie

Robman said:
I am a lifelong Mets fan, ouch.

Heh - well, my beef is directed most particularly at the 85-87 era ( Gooden, Strawberry, Hernandez, Knight, Dykstra [ less so ], and Carter [ most of all, by far ]...)

Robman said:
For whatever its worth, I have always found the Dubow pattern comfortable due to the wider sleeves. I find some of the others with wider shoulders to be less comfortable/natural.

On topic, the Dubow of this contract: if I had to pinpoint, I'd say it was the shoulders across the top towards the back. Chest, torso, sleeve length, etc... They're all good. I had a Real McCoy of this make in a 46, and it just didn't sit right up there. With the 48, I can feel where the problem would be ( with the attendant pinching in the armpits, relative to shoulder fit ) with aggressive movement, but the fit is more akin to a tailored shirt, now.
So, while not the broadest of individuals, it would appear that while chest and torso-wise I'm a 46 ( even a tight 44 at my fighting weight ), I need the shoulder breadth of the 48 occasionally, particularly in this contract. In the Good Wear Rough Wear seen in another thread, the 48 is on the looser side of what is commonly accepted as an authentic fit, for me. That's a boon for wearing a sweater, but I could definitely rock a 46 RW 27752 with no complaints.
In PLATON's "Myth" thread, the focus seems to be on evolution, whereas the cut of the patterns doesn't seem to be addressed thoroughly enough. I think that's a real bonus of the Good Wear site.
Further, PLATON's assertion is not unreasonable, I think, if you're working off actual measurements, rather than your suit size. The suit sizes are just little lies the manufacturers are telling Joe Public; sadly a US-centric problem if I had to guess, and I'm quite the nationalist.

kiltie

chitchat posted this link in the "ebay" section -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-40s...pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item3ccdcfcc99

Especially remark worthy, I think, is the finish. I really believe, after serious use, the Bill Kelso repro will wear like this one. Not a patina, as commonly perceived, but the finish actually holding up until the natural leather is exposed at high wear areas. Maybe not the most uniformly desirable look, but certainly authentic. Very cool.
Something new to like...