• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spearhead Militaria A-2

This is my first post...amazing content, conversations and pictures here...really excited to have found this site. I just bought a HH A-2 on eBay...always wanted one and bought a size 46 from Spearhead Militaria in their russet (really more Havana). I have read a great deal since and have been amazed at the information, sites, etc...already eyeing a Kelso or Aero. Rough Wear would be nice, but rough budget makes that tough!

The Spearhead is OK...the fit is amazing, but the color of the leather is odd, and it is completely rubbing off in the friction/folds. Please check it out...from what I read this HH is spray dyed and is completely coming off (and this is after 1 week of wearing). Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0954.jpg

a2jacketpatches

As I read your post, I thought it might look cool, then I saw the photos. That just looks wrong. Maybe a defect in the leather they're not aware of, but no a2 should wear like that in a week.

Jeff M

That's not "normal" wear.
Looks like the color was just sprayed onto the leather rather than the leather actually being dyed.
I'm guessing they went with an inexpensive leather source.

Jeff M

Your experience is not unique.
Found this discussion about Spearhead Militaria A2's from the Fedora Lounge;

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... Hide-sz-46

Looks like they are using poor quality leather.
The one thing I've learned in life is nothing ends up costing as much as trying to go "cheap". You often end up with an item of poor quality and/or one you never quite like as much as the more expensive model you really want, only to end up finally buying the more expensive item anyway. :(

A

Anonymous

Not the leather but the dye job, STAY AWAY :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Roughwear

Well done. Your new Aero will serve you much better than the poorly finished Spearhead A2. The Aero horsehide will just get better and better with wear. :)

Jaguar46

Aero is a premium jacket maker. I own a few, and I will never sell them. I am still looking for my first Aero A2, however. Report back when yours arrives.

Jeff M

The leather used on the Spearheads's I've seen photos of reminds me of the first baseball mits bought for my sons when they were playing T ball. More like "pleather" than leather. Really bad.
How does Spearhead stay in business? Can't be "word of mouth". At least with their A2's.

Jaguar46

Jeff M said:
The leather used on the Spearheads's I've seen photos of reminds me of the first baseball mits bought for my sons when they were playing T ball. More like "pleather" than leather.

if you mean by pleather, "painted leather" I agree. If you mean "plastic leather", it is not really like plastic, is seems like they started with real leather, but it is a painted on finish, over a treated/dyed leather base. In my case it had a black base. In rrackleyadams case, the base color looks almost yellow.

wop54

Jaguar46 said:
Aero is a premium jacket maker. I own a few, and I will never sell them. I am still looking for my first Aero A2, however. Report back when yours arrives.
Sorry, I hijack the thread, for a moment. Is that your car in the avatar, Jaguar46?
I love the style of that car.... Enzo Ferrari himself once said that the Jaguar E-type was the most beautiful car ever made!!
Back to the original thread, now! :D

Thanks for replies and thoughts everyone...getting the Aero tomorrow and will throw up a pic in addition to additional pix of the Spearhead. Hopefully i can help others avoid the same mistake. Yes, you get what you pay for...

Jaguar46

wop54 said:
Jaguar46 said:
Sorry, I hijack the thread, for a moment. Is that your car in the avatar, Jaguar46?
I love the style of that car.... Enzo Ferrari himself once said that the Jaguar E-type was the most beautiful car ever made!!
Back to the original thread, now! :D

This is my 1966 E-Type I purchased in 1974 (for $300). It had already started to rust out even back then. I had turned the car over to a guy to restore in 1983, but after he disassembled the car, and did nothing else for 28 years, I reclaimed the car in parts, and had it completely restored. All the way down to nuts and bolts, and put back together, by an expert, not me.

P1010990.jpg

P1010988.jpg

Here it is at the Quail Event, Carmel, 2011.

P1020085Large.jpg

work by Dave Ferguson, Image AutoBody, Campbell, California
http://imagesautobody.com/