• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin Jacket by Links (1940)

Dr H

I had the opportunity to get the camera out today and after shooting the Perry A-2s, I photographed my Irvin, which is worn to walk the dog/build snowmen when the weather gets really cold.

This is a jacket that was originally made by Links. It is essentially in original condition, although it lacks a label (it measures 42-44") and the main zip and one of the zippers in the arms have been replaced with ELC reproductions (the sole remaining zipper is a period Lightning). The ultra valuable ( ;) ) black elastic strap to the rear of the collar is actually a modern repro.

Given the 2-panel configuration I believe the jacket dates from 1940 and it bears the characteristic rounded collar (that I particularly like), and honey-coloured dense fleece, and medium sized belt loops. The zip tapes have a reddish hue (as does the rear facing of the collar).

It's generally in good, wearable condition - there is some wear to the fleece at the cuffs and waist, but the rest is in strong, sturdy condition. At some time in its life it's come into contact with some white paint on the left sleeve - I've opted not to remove it at this stage as it doesn't bother me greatly.

There are two older repairs: two small, circular leather patches to both sleeve biceps, consistent with abrasion in a narrow cockpit (and presumably a fighter). As Andrew has mentioned recently the summer of 1940 was too warm for Irvins, but his suggestion that the Hurricane pilots wore them more frequently in France during 1939-40 could be more explicable.

What isn't clear from these photos (partially visible on one) is the name 'GEORDIE' painted in faded red pigment to the rear of the collar. I took the jacket into the lab and examined it under both short and long wavelength UV lamps to reveal it clearly.

Dimensions:
Front length = 55 cm (to base of collar stand)
Back length = 64 cm (including collar stand)
Shoulder width = 53 cm
Arm length = 59 cm (measured with curve)
Collar width = 16 cm (excluding collar stand)

I almost considered selling this last year as it wasn't getting frequent use, but I am so glad that I didn't. It is extremely comfortable to wear, very warm and above all has a terrific smell - the fleece is clean, tight and has served a great blanket when camping. :D

IMG_8064.jpg

IMG_8065.jpg

IMG_8074.jpg

3934007.jpg

3934008.jpg

3934009.jpg

3934010.jpg

3934011.jpg

3934012.jpg

IMG_8072.jpg

IMG_8077.jpg

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8070.jpg

IMG_8071.jpg

3934006.jpg

Roughwear

Ian your Links jacket was most likely from their second contract with the AM, from 1939, which was B24384 / 39 / C.I.B. Links was a high volume maker of Irvins throughout the war. This firm was awarded their first contract earlier in 1939. IAC and Wareings could not meet the demand to supply sufficent Irvins to the RAF at this time. There is very little known about Links. Unlike IAC, Wareings, DGL, Robinson and Ensum no one appears to know where they were located.

Jason

Dr H said:
I took the jacket into the lab and examined it under both short and long wavelength UV lamps to reveal it clearly.

I didn't think of using this trick. I'll have to do the same for my B-3, the name on one of the collar straps continues to elude me. Wonder if my UV lamp used for erasing computer memory would do the trick?

Dr H

Worth a try Jason, I think that it was 310 mm, 254 nm didn't quite do enough for the red paint. It'll depend on the colour/structure of the pigment.
It'll also reveal presence of modern thread
Good luck
Ian

Dr H

Did you see the 'Perry' post Jason? How do the details compare with your jackets?

rich

Roughwear said:
There is very little known about Links. Unlike IAC, Wareings, DGL, Robinson and Ensum no one appears to know where they were located.

That's depressing Andrew - within living memory and already so obscure. An executive from Pentland told me that he was involved with their purchase of Wareings, but had no knowledge whatsoever about the production of sheepskin jackets, and was not aware of any surviving archive material - tempus fugit indeed.