• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWO ORIGINAL STAR A2s IN A SIZE 44

Roughwear

The 1942 Star A2 is commonly seen made from seal brown horse hide. Russet ones appear to be less common. I have had a near mint russet one for sometime, but recently have acquired a seal one also in a size 44. The colour of the seal version is similar to the latest Eastman repro. I have installed a NOS Talon zipper on the seal jacket and replaced the cuffs. The original owner's name is stenciled in the lining. As it is a well worn example it is fine for regular wear. Notice the difference in the size of the inspector's stamps near the spec labels. The pictures really speak for themselves.

088-1.jpg

097-1.jpg

089-1.jpg

090-1.jpg

095-1.jpg

102-1.jpg

099-1.jpg

115.jpg

110-1.jpg

113.jpg

115.jpg

117-1.jpg

122.jpg

124-1.jpg

128-1.jpg

kkochheiser

What a wonderful comparison! Are the collars as different as they appear to be or is it just an optical illusion? Do they fit the same?

Thanks for sharing!

Kent

Roughwear

Thanks. The fit is much the same, although the russet jacket is slightly longer. The slight difference between the collars may be due to the wear to the seal jacket and variations in the cutting of the leather.

Roughwear

The waistband is original to the jacket. It is hard to find 100% accurate matching knits as the colour has faded. The knits I used I have had for some time and believe they were bought on Ebay, but who made them......?

Andrew:
I really like the comparison photos you've posted, here and with the Aeros. Really cool way to compare features, patina, wear, etc. This example of a seal Star is one of my favorite jackets I've ever seen...what amazing color and character. Great post.

Jason

Thats the first time I've seen a russet Star - thanks for sharing those photos. Love that russet Star, very nice shade.

Roughwear

Russet Star A2s are certainly much rarer in terms of surviving examples. This one must have been in storage most of its life judging by its mint condition.