• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AERO 21996 SIZE 44 FROM 528TH BS

Roughwear

I have had this Aero for a few months now. It's the first Aero from this contract that I have owned in totally original condition, with no replaced parts or issues. The lining and knits are in remarkable condition. The dark seal top coating is almost all in tact, with some areas of red evident. The 528th Bomb Squadron, was part of the 380th Bomb Group, 5th AAF and known as the "King of the Heavies" , flying B-24's. I know the jacket was worn by a lieutenant, but nothing more about him.

001-47.jpg

002-55.jpg

013-57.jpg

020-30.jpg

006-56.jpg

008-58.jpg

010-58.jpg

011-53.jpg

012-60.jpg

016-47.jpg

017-42.jpg

019-34.jpg

021-26.jpg

better duck

That's a really beautiful original, Andrew!! Looks amazing and fits you great too. That's the one to wear this year to Flying Legends, I'd say!

Taking a second look at your photos I noticed how strangely uncreased the sleeves look in the first photograph. Almost pristine. Any idea about that?

fishmeok

Andrew, what are the measurements? to me that looks like the "perfect" A-2 fit, I'm curious as to how it matches up with my 44 and a couple others I've measured.

Cheers
Mark

Roughwear

fishmeok said:
Andrew, what are the measurements? to me that looks like the "perfect" A-2 fit, I'm curious as to how it matches up with my 44 and a couple others I've measured.

Cheers
Mark

Mark the measurements are as follows:

pit to pit: 23.25", across the shoulders: 19", sleeve from shoulder to end of cuff: 25" and down the back from base of collar: 25.5".

Roughwear

better duck said:
That's a really beautiful original, Andrew!! Looks amazing and fits you great too. That's the one to wear this year to Flying Legends, I'd say!

Taking a second look at your photos I noticed how strangely uncreased the sleeves look in the first photograph. Almost pristine. Any idea about that?

Peter, I have yet to decide which jacket to wear to Flying Legends. This one is a stronger contender as is my neaqr mint size 44 Star.

The uncreased sleeves may indicate that the jacket received light wear or the guy didn't bend his arms much! ;)

Tim P

It seems to me that almost all the Aeros I see have that tendency to show through red 'tanned' where other jackets scuff. A very pleasing look ot the leather.

Roughwear

Bill, Sadly there are no indications anywhere as to the owner. Sometimes they inscribe their enlistment no. in the lining. I bought it from a dealer in the USA. The jacket has a pair of Lieutenant bars sewn on the epaulets. I would love to know who owned it in the War. I'm interested in the 528th BS, so any information would be appreciated.

TankBuster

Bill,
Look at photo number 11, you will see the Lt. bar on the epp. Since the foil or paint is now gone, it is impossible to know if he was a 1st or 2nd Lt.

Andrew

I don't know how I missed this here, particularly as I spotted it at TFL. What a great find, but as the Pacific isn't your theatre of collecting you can have my s44 21996 as a trade!

I know you won't touch it (nametag)...

Go to the 380th homepage to download a copy of Bill S's 71 page excellent power point show- it'll be a good start to your research.

http://380th.org/

CBI

there are stitch holes there. why not nametag it? Its easy to do and one can use the same holes!

Roughwear

CBI said:
there are stitch holes there. why not nametag it? Its easy to do and one can use the same holes!

True, but I would not wish to compromise the authenticity of this jacket with someone else's name tag.

CBI

here's where we have differing views. I agree however in theory however from an aesthetic standpoint, I think the jacket would LOOK perfect with this one addition. I guess if its mainly going to be a stay at home item, then there would be no need however if its a wearer, the one addition would make it look even better for jacket collectors, general public - no clue. You could even put someone else's name (from the unit) on the nametag. In any case, its a great looking jacket.

capt71

oose,
That's definitely a 528th BS patch on the guy with the wings. Any more info on that photo?

CBI,
Gotta totally disagree with the idea of adding a name tag to the jacket just to increase it's "collector" value. Leave it as it is IMHO.