• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooper A-2, contract W535-AC-23381

Roughwear

The Cooper A-2, contract W535-AC-23381, is a rare jacket suggesting that it was a small contract. This one is a size 44. I have only seen them before in smaller sizes. It is similar to the RW 1401p in that it is made from very similar russet veg tanned, aniline dyed horse hide. It has many of the features of this RW contract except that that collar stand is a little wider, the collar tips are more rounded and the bottom of the pockets are bevelled. The zip is an early Conmar. As a size 44 its a comfortable jacket to wear. It has had a coat of of Pecards and the leather is now supple. The white size tag is still visible in the left pocket. Here are some pictures.
001-15.jpg

004-15.jpg

005-17.jpg

007-20.jpg

008-22.jpg

009-23.jpg

010-21.jpg

011-21.jpg

012-21.jpg

013-24.jpg

015-23.jpg

017-17.jpg

jack aranda

That's a beauty. Pecard's really brings a jacket back; it's good to know there are folks caring for, preserving these amazing jackets. Do you wear your originals? This one looks like it has years of real wear left in it, even if only on air show days.

BTW, I am constantly amazed at the depth and breadth of knowledge I find here at VLJ, and at FL. I'm a pretty rank dilitante; generally, I know what I like and don't worry about details. But, I'm learning a lot reading the posts here, and it increases my appreciation for the jackets and the history.

Thanks for the pics, Andrew.

Roughwear

Jack I do wear my originals from time to time, some more than others, especially those with replaced knits. I also wear them to airshows when its the season in the UK.

TankBuster

Great looking jacket. The Cooper and Werber are the only makers I have never owned in the
years I've been at this.
Was this the reason for the recent clearout? ;)

Roughwear

TankBuster said:
Great looking jacket. The Cooper and Werber are the only makers I have never owned in the
years I've been at this.
Was this the reason for the recent clearout? ;)

Partly, Jeff. I also bought a late War Irvin, size 44 Dubow and have a size 44 RW 1401-p coming. So the selling continues! I am listing my size 42 RW 1401-p tonight. The Cooper cost only a little more than a high end repro.

Roughwear

TankBuster said:
Sounds like you've been busy! ;)

Too right! As you know listing a jacket for Ebay can in itself take quite a bit of time, from taking the pics to writing the description.

Stony

I've had an original Cooper before that was part of a large Observer pilot's grouping. I split the grouping up because no one wanted to buy it together. I sold the Cooper to Gary Eastman about two years ago. Rare jackets indeed as it's the only one I've seen in the flesh.

Roughwear

Stony said:
I've had an original Cooper before that was part of a large Observer pilot's grouping. I split the grouping up because no one wanted to buy it together. I sold the Cooper to Gary Eastman about two years ago. Rare jackets indeed as it's the only one I've seen in the flesh.

I remember your Cooper well. A size 40 I believe? Had it been bigger I would have been interested in it. I'm glad it went to a person who appreciates such rare jackets.

Silver Surfer

yup. thats a nice piece of horse flesh, real nice. ive had 2 coops, but niether were as nice. funny thing about coops is, most collectors dont get how rare they are. i was told many years ago, that no more than 5000 of these jacs were made, of which, perhaps, less then 1000 remain.

Roughwear

Silver Surfer said:
yup. thats a nice piece of horse flesh, real nice. ive had 2 coops, but niether were as nice. funny thing about coops is, most collectors dont get how rare they are. i was told many years ago, that no more than 5000 of these jacs were made, of which, perhaps, less then 1000 remain.

That's sounds about right Victor. It was not economical to issue contracts of less than 5000 jackets.