• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Name 42-18246-P size 44

Roughwear

Last yesr I bought an A2 jacket in the UK and the seller believed it was an Aero. However it is without doubt the 42-18246-P which is believed to have been made by S.H. Knopf of Boston, MA. It has all the distinguishing characteristics of this no-name contract: Angular pocket flaps, uncovered backs of collar snaps inside the neck, contracted epaulet box-stitching with the crossing X contained within the twin-stitch lines, but with the bounding box line extending the full width of the strap and rectangular leather tab reinforcement for the back of the snap inside the pocket. The jacket has a repro label from JC. I have replaced the knits which were post war and were not matching. The HH is quite thick and very strong. The zipper is a Conmar, although I have seen examples with Talons. Its is a very comfortable jacket which should get more wear later in the year.

024-9.jpg

026-10.jpg

029-6.jpg

028-8.jpg

030-7.jpg

032-5.jpg

031-8.jpg

Andrew,

That's a great looking jacket, and I know you're pleased as punch with it. I've never owned an original, but if I could find the right one in a biggish size I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl. :D The grain on that jacket is incredible.

jacketimp

Roughwear said:
jacketimp said:
psssssssss.........wanna sell?

pm me anytime :twisted:

No! And its too big for an IMP! :lol:

too BIGGGGGG.......now i feel soooooooo petite..........

ain't my money just as good as any else's?

now i feel...............despair.........forlorn...........forsaken :(

enjoy and wear the A2 in good health andrew :D

BUT.. should you change your mind you know who to contact

........right of first refusal et al

Roughwear

jacketimp said:
Roughwear said:
jacketimp said:
psssssssss.........wanna sell?

pm me anytime :twisted:

No! And its too big for an IMP! :lol:

too BIGGGGGG.......now i feel soooooooo petite..........

ain't my money just as good as any else's?

now i feel...............despair.........forlorn...........forsaken :(

enjoy and wear the A2 in good health andrew :D

BUT.. should you change your mind you know who to contact

........right of first refusal et al

What would the forum do without your humour Imp!

zoomer

That HH almost looks like SH, it's so thick-looking and coarsely grained...any possibility Knopf used cattlehides, ever?

Roughwear

zoomer said:
That HH almost looks like SH, it's so thick-looking and coarsely grained...any possibility Knopf used cattlehides, ever?

It could be SH, but as has been discussed before on this and another forum it is so difficult to be sure.

Roughwear

Hawkeye said:
According to JC the 42-18246-P contract was exclusively HH.

This may well be correct, but no one can be certain that some from this contract were not made of SH. This from Acmedepot is interesting:-

While the official specification called for horsehide, and while most jackets probably were so made, there was a notable fraction of A-2's made of goatskin and perhaps other hides such as steer. Consultation with a number of independent leather scientists (not tanners or sales people) resulted in learning that once the hides have been processed it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between horse and steer; it can't be done visually, and a positive ID might well require expensive DNA testing.