• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing a B-3

fishmeok

I finished modding a US Authentic B-3 last night. I won this jacket on e-bay when I forgot to withdraw a bid- the perils of using a sniper program. It is a decent enough jacket, but not very "authentic" so I decided to make it a little more so. Changes include:
Removing and re-attaching the cuffs properly
Removing, shortening, and re-attaching the zippers correctly (originally covered with tape and both on the outside)
Making the jacket body almost 4 inches shorter
Adding the square reinforcements at the bottom of the zippers
Adding the triangular reinforcements at the top of the zippers
Making the insignia tabs a more reasonable size (they were almost 4" by 4"!)
Dyeing the arm, pocket, and straps darker (just looks better)
Adding an AAF decal
Moving the pocket up and alongside the zipper

I am pleased with the results, though it was a LOT harder than I thought it would be. It's still more of a B-3 look than exact replica as the straps are way off, the tape is too dark, and I cheated on the body length by just cutting off the bottom and moving the tapes and pocket up instead of installing a panel of 1/4" fleece around the base. The insignia tabs are too far forward as well...

Not NEARLY as spectacular as an Aero or Eastman B-3, but good enough for daily wear.
Cheers
Mark

Before:
DSCN2944.jpg

After:
IMG_0336.jpg
IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg
IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg

dujardin

good work,

after my try to fix an M445 I WILL NEVER MORE TRY TO CHANGE OR REPAIR A SHEARLING JACKET.

you have some hidden talent

byeeeeeeeee marcel

fishmeok

Clark J said:
That looks great fishy!!!Now if we can just do something with that face!!!

Look who's talking!! Go back to Anoka and dodge the tornados you rube.... :D

Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

dujardin said:
good work,

after my try to fix an M445 I WILL NEVER MORE TRY TO CHANGE OR REPAIR A SHEARLING JACKET.

you have some hidden talent

byeeeeeeeee marcel

I know, I know- that M-445 used to be mine before Bazelot bought it, then sent it to you. It's difficult enough on a new jacket...
Cheers
Mark

Falcon_52

Good work, Mark. You're efforts definitely paid off. That jacket looks MUCH better with the alterations you've made.

Noel

Jason

Great job Mark, very good work! You'd better watch out, you'll have other VLJ'ers sending you their jackets for repairs or modification :D

tgd31968

Outstanding work.

I have a USA A-2 that I am quite happy with, but when I looked at their site for Shearling, they just don't "look" right. The B-3 in their pic looks way too long, and the b-6 just does not look right either.

Good work.

Terry

fishmeok

tgd31968 said:
Outstanding work.

I have a USA A-2 that I am quite happy with, but when I looked at their site for Shearling, they just don't "look" right. The B-3 in their pic looks way too long, and the b-6 just does not look right either.

Good work.

Terry

It's interesting how they can come so close, and yet completely blow it. This would be a great replica budget B-3 except for the excessive length, cuff atachment, huge rank tabs, etc. I really don't understand why they didn't spend the extra 5 minutes and get it right. Looks like the current version has fixed all these problems (including the straps- but it still looks way too long)) but for $650 they are getting into the used Eastman or Aero territory. And this jacket is definately not up to that standard of quality.
USA B-3:
http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=12

Cheers
Mark

tgd31968

fishmeok said:
tgd31968 said:
Outstanding work.

Good work.

Terry

It's interesting how they can come so close, and yet completely blow it. This would be a great replica budget B-3 except for the excessive length, cuff atachment, huge rank tabs, etc. I really don't understand why they didn't spend the extra 5 minutes and get it right. Looks like the current version has fixed all these problems (including the straps- but it still looks way too long)) but for $650 they are getting into the used Eastman or Aero territory. And this jacket is definately not up to that standard of quality.
USA B-3:
http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=12

Cheers
Mark

I would agree with that. For the extra $200, you may as well go with Aero. Eastman is still up in the stratosphere from there, but maybe used....
I noticed that your original had the pocket in the wrong place, but in the web site photos, they seem to have it more correct. Maybe you are right, and yours was when they were working out the bugs.
Although, I sent my A-2 back to them after wearing it for 7 months to get the sleeves shortened. They seem to have gorrillas for models because the arms were too long for a size 42, but I wanted to break it in before shortening.
I just don't like the cut of their sheepskins.

Terry