• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little patches. my most ambitious project to date

Tim P

OK here we go. Many here will have seen the images I have posted of jacket paintings I have attempted. Now a bunch of us have decided to replicate a crew and have chosen, in addition to a generic impression, to represent a crew from 324BS (pre 401BS) 'Little Patches' of the 91st bomb group. what this means for me is up to ten copies of the Starcer rendering of the Gil Elvegren original ' net result' .
I will photograph all ten as I do them. This will take months as many do not yet have their scond A-2. I will also be doing the squadron patch for each jacket.
I am considering making life easier for myself by making stencils to block in the original lettering and girl shape from which I will then add detail by hand. that said, I may differ the positioning of the lettering ie across the top and large, stacked and over to the right etc Sound like a plan?
If anyone can direct me to a decent size image of the Elvegren original I will be grateful.
Tim.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Either way .... she'd make someone a lovely avatar. :)

images

rich

Tim, there's a superb book of Elvgren's work, published by Taschen. Here's a scan of the picture you're after, a bit bigger
hopefully.

ppp152.jpg

CBI

Just got my copy of the Tachen Elvgren book yesterday. Very nice and a GREAT price on Amazon. A word of caution: its a great book but a number (most) of the reproductions are of poor quality. Still, its probably the most complete collection of his work. My hardcover copy was $10.

Tim P

thank you
my plan is to do the last two tomorrow. then it will be as and when for the remainder. my monarch is at left, next to it is a goodwear 27753 and then two aeros.

Andrew

They look excellent as a set Tim, looking forward to seeing some closeups and of course all the crew wearing them. That will make a sight. Has this been done before by reenactors in the UK or are you lot the first?

Tim P

I discussed this with one of the jacket owners today. I have been on the fringes of the living history scene for over a decade now and have never seen more than a couple of jackets painted the with the same design.
It is a first as far as I am aware
the AAF living historian (excluding the Gap chinos and LL Bean A2 with unconverted dutch army cap) is often a solitary soul due to the lack of props. Last years flying legends was an unbridled success. As ever though, with the launch of something there will be detail aspects that need attention. This year some of the creases have been ironed out and efforts to ensure a more cohesive group impression have been made. The group may be hosted at a 91st BG reunion in Ohio next year.