• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some nice early and pre war flight jackets- large pics

deand

I think I see a UFO in the top picture, upper left corner! Just kidding! Nice shots and jackets! Thanks!

dean

Grant

Thanks for posting such large photos. You can really see the details on some of the jackets. I'll bet Chappy is studying these!

zoomer

All these pix deal with the Maryland ANG. More info from their website:

Photo 1
Flightline Briefing
Maj. Charles Masson, commander of the Maryland National Guard's 104th Observation Squadron, briefs crews prior to boarding their O-47 aircraft at Logan Field in Baltimore, Md., on March 1, 1940. Less than a year later, the 104th was mobilized in anticipation of World War II. (Released)

Photo 2
Tech. Sgt. Leonard Ray
Tech. Sgt. Leonard Ray, a member of the Maryland National Guard, was mobilized just prior to World War II. He is seen here shortly before his death in 1944.

Photo 3
Falcon Pilots
Pilots assigned to the Maryland National Guard's 104th Observation Squadron pose in front of one of the unit's O-11 "Falcon" aircraft Oct. 20, 1930, at the unit's home station, Logan Field in Baltimore. Among them are Charles Masson (second from left), who commanded the squadron from 1929 to 1942, and WIlliam Tipton (fourth from left), who commanded the squadron from 1924 to 1929. (Released)

dujardin

thanks for those brilliant pics

and thanks to Zoomer for the complement of infos

many thanks

deand

zoomer said:
Tech. Sgt. Leonard Ray
Tech. Sgt. Leonard Ray, a member of the Maryland National Guard, was mobilized just prior to World War II. He is seen here shortly before his death in 1944.

I see this and am reminded of Revelation 7: 9-17, the Epistle for All Saints Sunday.

dean

zoomer

One more from MD ANG:

Major Jack Turnbull

John Inglehart "Jack" Turnbull was a noted athlete and member of the Maryland National Guard. He was killed in action during a bombing mission over Europe.
080610-f-1181b-016.jpg

Wikipedia page on Jack Turnbull
Johns Hopkins class of 1932. Star lacrosse player. Field hockey Olympian in '36.
Killed when his B-24 crashed in occupied Belgium in 1944.

Anyone recognize his jacket? High pockets, deep collar. Like a Rough Wear except no collar stand.

zoomer

Chas. A. Lindbergh at San Diego, 1929, with Lieut. Leslie Gehres, USN. Gehres commanded the 9 High Hats aerobatic team and in WW2 skippered the carrier Franklin. (He's best remembered for trying to charge crewmen who jumped from the burning and crippled ship as deserters; he had to back down.)
He is wearing the pre-depression, capeskin Type 37J1 jacket, the Navy's A-1 equivalent. (I should say "a" cape 37J1.
They varied a lot, having different collar types, patch pockets instead of just flap, or 5 button fronts instead of 6 as here.)
4824821740_15179658e0_b.jpg

This is from the San Diego Air Museum's Flickr stream - lots of aircraft pix plus a few of people, most not very big.

Weasel_Loader

Love the photo of Turnbull. Who says A-2s need to fit like a suit? I'd be interested to see how much tunneling the cuff knits had to them with his arms down at his sides.

So what contract is that jacket?

deand

I'd agree with the Doniger suggestion, based on how the pocket flap was sewn to the body as it compares to the example at JC's site. The 18246 model has a unique manner of flap construction and sewing according to his site, and I can't actually see that displayed as such in the photo.

dean

Falcon_52

I was thinking that maybe the jacket is an Aero (maybe 18775?). The early Aero versions seem to have the large collar and large pocket flaps. Just a thought.

Noel

zoomer

Gee this is fun...
I disagree with Dubow or Doniger based on the shape of Turnbull's collar - his doesn't come to nearly the "point" those do.

Noname 18246 - maybe, narrow shoulders on both, but his flaps look big.
18246_fr.jpg

18246_pock_c.jpg

Aero 18775 - getting warmer, I think! Only ??? = Turbull's curvy flap.
Aero_fr.jpg

Aero_nk1.jpg

Aero_pock1.jpg

Color from Acme Depot