• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 1990 Avirex Horsehide A2

Chandler

As promised, I finally cornered my brother, who has had possession of this jacket for about 5 years now. Doesn't fit him anymore either, and it's only by luck that it didn't end up in the trash or at the Salvation Army.

My second A2, from back when Avirex and their Cockpit catalog were the s**tz. I got the horsehide because it was the original hide, and opted for their 44 because of the "authentic" trim fit. Yeah, trim is right, more like a 42 in normal sizing.

Anyway, I thought you hide lusters would drool over this puppy. Avirex advertised that horsehides, even in the '30s, were prone to all the grain and scarring these hides showed -- I think they were making a mint in mark-up, myself.

front.jpg

back.jpg

frontfold.jpg

quarter.jpg

pockets.jpg

sleeve.jpg

MikeyB-17

That's nice hide all right-some cracking grain there. Hard to tell without seeing it on somebody, but doesn't look that bad for accuracy or details either-funny colour knits, but the cuffs look like double knit, and there's a throat latch. Still got that silly hanger loop sticking out of the lining though. Shame they don't do them like this any more.

Chandler

MikeyB-17 said:
Hard to tell without seeing it on somebody, but doesn't look that bad for accuracy or details either-funny colour knits, but the cuffs look like double knit,

It's a very snug 44, but fits okay over a T-shirt or something very light. The knits have discolored (aged?) over the years -- and yeah, a lot of polyester died for their sake :roll: They feel funny whenever I put it on -- so used to real wool anymore.

The hide's real supple. The epaulets sit flat horizontally across the shoulders, but they roll over toward the arms a tad. Pretty high waist on it too. Don't know why they chose that hanger. I'll have to get a shot of the "genuine horsehide" tag sewn into the lining.

Even 20 years ago I was never thrilled with the fit, but that was "authentic," so I never sent it back -- then I must have matured, or something, and decided I wanted something that moved with me instead of against me.

Chandler

A

Anonymous

Hi twenty years ago it was the bees knees because it was the best to be had ,It still a nice jacket and better than a Cooper and a US authentic .But to today there are better choices in terms of cut and authenticity ,but that leather has great character and grain .The Avirexes today still sell well on ebay for good money ,but those buyers probably do not know there are better made jackets being made .Thanks for posting

All the best Jeff .

Chandler

DUBOWA2 said:
Hi twenty years ago it was the bees knees because it was the best to be had ,

I don't know if that's so true, or if I just didn't know where to look for better selection. I bought my ELC 1401 only about 6 years after this jacket. I think I'd seen HPA ads in the back of flying history magazines in the early '90s, but didn't really look into them until I read one of the hardback books on flight jackets (sorry, I can't recall which one showed all the brands at one point).

Nonetheless, the Avirex got plenty of wear, and I may have never looked at another repro if I'd bought a 46! :)

Thanks for posting

My pleasure.

Chandler

Chandler

MikeyB-17 said:
Still got that silly hanger loop sticking out of the lining though.

You know, I was thinking about this and I wonder if Avirex just didn't want to have the box-stitching showing through the jacket's back? Not authentic, but maybe just a little too rough for their taste?

Chandler

Stony

I bought one of these in 1994 from the Cockpit in Seattle (which folded up long ago) and I still have it today. It currently has 100-110 aces signatures on the lining and has worn well over the last 15 years, although I don't wear it anymore because of the signatures.

Stony

Here you go. I've been collecting signatures on this jacket since 1994.

avirexfront.jpg

avirexback.jpg

avirexsigs.jpg

The 8th AF, 362nd FG patch and the artwork on the back were done when I first got the jacket by a friend of mine who is long since deceased. I put the name tag on afterwards.

Chandler

I like all the signatures. Interesting that the details are a little different than mine: epaulets have different stitching and the pocket flaps have more curve. Odd that Avirex swapped things up.

Thanks for sharing.

Chandler

Stony

I like all the signatures. Interesting that the details are a little different than mine: epaulets have different stitching and the pocket flaps have more curve. Odd that Avirex swapped things up.

Yes, interesting indeed. Maybe Avirex was still in the learning stage or something like that.