• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Like Flynn

Jake431

Just saw this picture on a blog I read, The Selvedge Yard. Had to share it with this group. Check out the Navy flight jacket.

hosl01_yachts.jpg

Classic.

-Jake

Atticus

For some reason I was thinking that he flew in WWII, but I was wrong...

From Wiki...

After America entered World War II Flynn was often criticised for his failure to enlist while continuing to play war heroes in films. Flynn, in fact, had attempted to join every branch of the armed services but was rejected for health reasons. The studios' failure to counter the criticism was due to a desire to hide the state of Flynn's health. Not only did he have an enlarged heart, which had already resulted in at least one heart attack, but he also suffered from tuberculosis, a painful back (for which he self-medicated with morphine and later, with heroin), and recurrent bouts of malaria which he had contracted in New Guinea.

Maybe he snagged his jacket while shooting one of his war hero films.

AF

havocpaul

Seems like his bad health was a good reason he didn't serve unlike John Wayne who fought the war from the safety of a movie lot.

MikeyB-17

Not the first time I've seen a pic of Flynn in that jacket-somebody posted a different one, taken indoors IIRC, waaay back in the days of FJE I think. Good to see another one.

hacker

havocpaul said:
Seems like his bad health was a good reason he didn't serve unlike John Wayne who fought the war from the safety of a movie lot.

I'm not defending John Wayne as I really don't know the true facts that existed at the time. It's said that he supposedly tried to enlist, but that he was turned down either for an old injury he had or the fact he had four kids. Who knows, I can't really say. He probably did however serve a more useful role in Hollywood thru the movies he made. I for one, won't pass judgment.

Hacker

Atticus

I realize that men in those days wore high-waisted pants, but look at how long that M-jacket is compared to a modern G-1. It almost looks as if the waist band would hang below his crotch.

AF

hacker

Atticus said:
I realize that men in those days wore high-waisted pants, but look at how long that M-jacket is compared to a modern G-1. It almost looks as if the waist band would hang below his crotch.

AF

I think if he had it zipped up, it would look much shorter. M422a's are only slightly longer then G-1's.......if they fit right.

Hacker

Jake431

hacker said:
havocpaul said:

I'm not defending John Wayne as I really don't know the true facts that existed at the time. It's said that he supposedly tried to enlist, but that he was turned down either for an old injury he had or the fact he had four kids. Who knows, I can't really say. He probably did however serve a more useful role in Hollywood thru the movies he made. I for one, won't pass judgment.

Hacker

Also from Wiki....

America's entry into World War II resulted in a deluge of support for the war effort from all sectors of society, and Hollywood was no exception. Established stars such as Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. (USN, Silver Star), Henry Fonda (USN, Bronze Star), and Clark Gable (USAAF, Distinguished Flying Cross) as well as emerging actors such as Eddie Albert (USN, Bronze Star) and Tyrone Power (USMC) rushed to sign up for military service. Most notably, James Stewart (USAAC, USAAF, Distinguished Service Medal, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, Croix de Guerre) had already enlisted in the US Army Air Corps, surmounting great obstacles in order to do so.

As the majority of male leads left Hollywood to serve overseas, John Wayne saw his just-blossoming stardom at risk. Despite enormous pressure from his inner circle of friends, he put off enlisting. Wayne was exempted from service due to his age (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status, classified as 3-A (family deferment). Wayne's secretary recalled making inquiries of military officials on behalf of his interest in enlisting, "but he never really followed up on them." He repeatedly wrote to John Ford, asking to be placed in Ford's military unit, but continually postponed it until "after he finished one more film." Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing Wayne, especially after the loss of Gene Autry to the Army.

Correspondence between Wayne and Herbert J. Yates (the head of Republic) indicates that Yates threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract, though the likelihood of a studio suing its biggest star for going to war was minute. Whether or not the threat was real, Wayne did not test it. Selective Service Records indicate he did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but apparently Republic Pictures intervened directly, requesting his further deferment. In May, 1944, Wayne was reclassified as 1-A (draft eligible), but the studio obtained another 2-A deferment (for "support of national health, safety, or interest"). He remained 2-A until the war's end. Thus, John Wayne did not illegally "dodge" the draft, but he never took direct positive action toward enlistment.

Wayne was in the South Pacific theater of the war for three months in 1943–44, touring U.S. bases and hospitals as well as doing some "undercover" work for OSS commander William J. "Wild Bill" Donovan, who thought Wayne's celebrity might be good cover for an assessment of the causes for poor relations between General Douglas MacArthur and Donovan's OSS Pacific network. Wayne filed a report and Donovan gave him a plaque and commendation for serving with the OSS, but Wayne dismissed it as meaningless.

The foregoing facts influenced the direction of Wayne's later life. By many accounts, Wayne's failure to serve in the military during World War II was the most painful experience of his life. There were some other stars who, for various reasons, did not enlist. But Wayne, by virtue of becoming a celluloid war hero in several patriotic war films, as well as an outspoken supporter of conservative political causes and the Vietnam War, became the focus of particular disdain from both himself and certain portions of the public, particularly in later years. While some hold Wayne in contempt for the paradox between his early actions and his later attitudes, his widow suggests that Wayne's rampant patriotism in later decades sprang not from hypocrisy but from guilt. Pilar Wayne wrote, "He would become a 'superpatriot' for the rest of his life trying to atone for staying home."

Jake431

hacker said:
Atticus said:

AF

I think if he had it zipped up, it would look much shorter. M422a's are only slightly longer then G-1's.......if they fit right.

Hacker

Hacker's got it right - though that jacket is longer than a modern G-1, if he zipped it up, it would look just right. I prefer that look to the modern shorter G-1, personally.

-Jake

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
Is it just me or does the collar of that jacket look overly large ?

It does look large, but I think it's just an illusion as it merges in with the black shirt.

Members online

Latest posts